Body fat percent

Options
2»

Replies

• dbevisjr
    Options
    Using a body fat caliper purchased at GNC for $20. Started around 32%, about 27% now, targeting under 20% to start and probably pick a more defined target once I get there. Most every online calculator uses weigh as a measurement to calculate and weight can fluctuate 5 pounds on any given day. Caliper measurement doesn't do that, it's much more consistent.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 20% BF, which I believe based on current measurements will happen around 125 pounds.

I use the number from my scale for my official number and use other measurements to verify what my scale tells me. I am scheduled for a body composition test next week and may make adjustments based on what those results are, but I feel my numbers are pretty accurate at this point.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    I have a scale that measures body fat along with water content. It seems to be fairly consistent with what I have been doing and the way I look. I noticed that when I went to a gym on a fitness challenge that they had me at about 17% with calipers when the scale said 10%. Over the next six weeks I did pretty much what I had been before but in a gym environment. My scale did not change much but at the end they claimed I had dropped from 17% to 12%. My belief is that the calipers can and do change depending on who is holding them and if there is a benefit the the holder of your having more or less. Personally, I am happy with the scale which runs electricity through to find an amount.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring tape and Fat 2 Fit Radio's military body fat calculator: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My belief is that the calipers can and do change depending on who is holding them and if there is a benefit the the holder of your having more or less.

This is why you want the same person taking the measurements each time and why I prefer to do it myself. I know I am measuring the same spots each time, which gives consistent readings.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    My belief is that the calipers can and do change depending on who is holding them and if there is a benefit the the holder of your having more or less.

This is why you want the same person taking the measurements each time and why I prefer to do it myself. I know I am measuring the same spots each time, which gives consistent readings.

And you don't have a bias to measure it light to claim a higher body fat at the beginning of a program and then tight later to claim a great loss after it is over... I might be wrong but that is what I suspect happened.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I take my BF readings daily but then average out the readings for a fortnight.

I plug in my scale's bf readings into a couple of online sites. Every now and then I'll run a report to get a graph that shows the direction in which my percentage is moving.