Deer eat

Options
klouise7
klouise7 Posts: 12 Member
Hello, im doing low carb diet and am looking for recipes for deer meat..im also doing the Curves Complete Program for 90 days and walking also, wish me luck...this is my first week!! Thanks

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I pretty-well just use the same recipes I would for another type of meat for the same cut... roast? roast it in the oven with a bit of water and whatever spices your family enjoys... savory is huge here, if you leave it off the meal just isn't the same:P

venison steak? pan-fried or perhaps roasted in the pan also as I'm finding that makes a much moister result as opposed to the frying pan.

ground? makes great sausages or tacos wherever you'd use ground beef or turkey or chicken etc.

It can be a lot leaner so you may need to allow for that in your cooking styles but beyond that find a recipe for the proper cut... same as rabbit does very well in place of chicken...
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    One of the best chilis I ever at was at a chili cook-off and it was made with venison.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When dad got a deer when we were growing up, mom used to just substitute deer meat for beef in any of her recipes. If you have equivalent cuts of meat, it works well.

Enjoy - it's been years since I've have deer - I would love a good deer steak!
  • rustybago
    Options
    I love Hank Shaw's blog for wild food inspiration - http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/
    His recipes aren't geared towards weight loss, but you could always tailor them to your needs while using his ideas for spices and dishes.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    Hello, im doing low carb diet and am looking for recipes for deer meat..im also doing the Curves Complete Program for 90 days and walking also, wish me luck...this is my first week!! Thanks

Hi there, what cut of meat are you using? I make a killer venison stroganoff and insted of having it over noodles or rice I use yellow crookneck squash or zucchini.
    If you's like the to know how to make it let me know.
    I love pan frying the steaks too. Season em' up with a salt free seasoning a little cooking spray in the pan and cook em about 4 minutes on each side (time will vary on thickness of steak).
    And I love love love cooking the hams (roast) in the crock pot like you'd do a beef chuck roast. (with onions, carrots, celery, petite red potatoes).
  • klouise7
    Options
    Thanks for info.. I like butterfly steaks ( i season over nite and then cut into strips in pan with pam spray and i add onions and green peppers) and add seasoned green beans and maybe a small salad. my husband does the rice with it but with me on low carbs i dont eat it and if i do its maybe 1 tbsp. i also like the deer hamburger for spaghetti with onions and bell peppers . Deer cube steak is my favorite, i season it and cook on grill or on Geoge Foreman grill. i also like deer sausage too. i hardly ever fry foods.
  • klouise7
    Options
    i will def try this, thanks :)
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One thing if you are cooking the steaks .....Don't over cook them, medium rare is the best. I like to rub them with fresh garlic, black pepper, a little salt and some olive oil and grill them very tasty!