Less glamorous side of cycling...

Options
2»

Replies

• Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    In addition to the great suggestions above here is a little trick I teach in my RPM classes:

FIrst, lay down on the floor on your back, feet down and hip width apart. (You can also stand and just act out this drill). Know how when you lay down there is a space between the floor and the small of your back? Push your lower back down to take away that space. Do this movement when you mount your back. It tilts the hips back just a touch and helps ease up on up the discomfort you experience plus you feel a great engagement of the legs muscles.
  • JuanaViviane
    Options
    I used to have that pain when I was riding my old bike but it never happened on my mothers bike, even if i was cycling for 2 hours.
    Maybe buy a different seat?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts and a good padded seat helped my nether yayas.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    I think I am a mini expert on this topic being a runner (non-biker) who just finished a full Ironman with 112 miles of biking. Pain down there was one of my biggest worries. At the end of the day it wasn't about padding or the seat. My Ironman shorts had virtually no padding, and my seat was a regular hard seat. It was just riding regularly and getting tough down there. Just ride regularly and you will be fine.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You are not supposed to be leaning on "down there" when you ride. You are supposed to be sitting up on your "sit bones" in your butt. You can ask your local bike shop to give you a fitting for your bike so that you aren't leaning on soft tissue. Also, paded bike shorts help, but a heavily padded seat may actually make it worse... you sink into the seat and rest on soft tissue rather thank sitting on your sit bones.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    if the world made any sense, men would ride side saddle...

but it doesnt.

tilt the bike seat back more
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if the world made any sense, men would ride side saddle...

but it doesnt.

tilt the bike seat back more

BACK???? This hurts my nads. I end up tilting the seat forward. get the pressure off the base of my penis.

typically women would tilt up, men would tilt down. JUSt a few degrees.

The nose can also be adjusted left and right for comfort...
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts and a gender specific saddle, that will put the weight on to your sit bones and not on the sensitive bits. I also use a cream when on my 100 + mile rides.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    One other important thing is engagement to the seat itself. Most saddles / seat posts are adjustable forwards and back and tilt. When you sit, you should feel the ears of the saddle engaging to the sit bones. Stated another way, the hard points at the bottom of your pelvis bone should be anchored to the ears of the saddle.

One good way to test the concept is to try to sit as far back on the saddle as possible, and then move it up bit by bit. There should be a tangible engagement feeling. Imagine a pair of bolts going up through the saddle and into the sit bones at the bottom of your pelvis.

The picture here is also helpful: http://www.nidus-corp.com/bass.html