Am I doing it right?

Options
Alright my wife and I have been calorie counting and exercising for about 3 months now. MFP has become our friend. I'm not sure if I am doing this right. I am 6 feet tall, I started out at 345.7 pounds. My ultimate goal is to be around 220-240 lbs. I am a big guy no getting around that, broad shoulders and dense. I started riding a bike doing laps around the neighborhood for 20-30 minutes and now I have a bike trainer so I am riding in my living room and riding at a higher intensity for 30-45 minutes and at least a couple days a week I do 20 minutes then lift weights for 10-15 minutes. I work out 6-7 days a week.

I am down to 312.5 as of today. I started out by eating just under 2000 calories a day. My justification for this was to try and shrink my stomach. I did this for about the first month and saw 12 lb loss. I then upped my calories to 2300 or so for about 2 weeks then dropped back down to 2000 for 2 weeks. The second month I dropped another 11 lbs. This month I have been right at 2100 calories (no going up and down like last month) and I lost another 10 lbs.

After finally coming on here and doing some reading I am just not sure I am going about this all right. First I feel like I should be eating more even without the exercise, I am IT manager for a company so I sit at my desk most of the day but if it is busy I am up and down a lot, I calculated by BMR at 2750, and second, should I be eating back all my calories from exercise or am I OK since I am so overweight?

Ultimately wife and I are going to Hawaii in April and really just trying to get in the best shape I can by then since some of the activities we may do are weight dependent like zip lines and helicopter tours. Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to help me out here.

Replies