Short walks better?

Options
So I wanted to see what people thought about this. I read an article today and the "expert" said it helps burn more calories to do three 10 minute walks throughout the day instead of one long walk. Any thoughts?

Replies

• AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I am going to be eagerly watching this thread. Good question!
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really make sense..
    The only reasoning behind it that I can think of is that if you go 30 straight minutes, you'll end up slowing down at the end but if you do three short ones you'll keep the same fast pace.. But that's only if you DO slow down. So no, I think that it's incorrect as long as you manage to keep the same pace through the whole long walk.
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i think if you take several walks through out the day you are being more active through out the day. if you take your walk in morning, you are only active in the morning. so i guess i can see how taking several walks would be considered better. however, not everybody has a schedule that allows for this. so it still comes down to this: the best exercise is the one you'll do (whenever you can do it)!
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have heard about this. If I recall right, it was because 3 10 minute walks are easier to fit in a busy day than a 30 minute walk. Therefore people are more likely to stick with it and do it more often, short walks everyday rather than a long one every other day.
  • kittenistic
    kittenistic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about making the idea of getting 30 minutes of exercise a day easier to handle. 3 ten minute bursts are a lot easier for people to handle, and will easily fit them into their day. Whereas not everyone will fit in 30 minutes at a time. Health wise I don't think it matters, the idea is to get people moving. Any exercise is better than none at all.
  • jjshulou
    Options
    The article was in a magazine, written by "fitness pro" Kathy Smith. Some of it makes sense, but it claims that you can lose 10lbs a week....hmmm. A little hard to believe. I mean, so it makes sense. You're stimulating organs and muscles 3 times throughout the day instead of once a day....
  • rfr1401
    rfr1401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't personally answer your question but will share what others are saying about this. I have been reading "The Complete Guide to Walking" by Mark Fenton. He addresses this theory in his book. He says that "breaking your 30 minutes of exercise into smaller chunks of time over the day provides the same health benefits <as walking 30 minutes all at once>. Whether you walk 30 minutes all at once or 10 minutes on the way to work, 10 minutes at lunch, and 10 minutes in the evening, over the long run you should see similar improvements in cholesterol levels and blood pressure, cardiovascular risk, and weight loss. Thus if you're having trouble getting organized for a full 30 minute walk, break it up." The theory is that if you are moving enough to increase the total calories you expend in a day, it is good for you. Doesn't sound like it is "better" but it is your total time/calorie burn for the day that counts.

He also addresses the debate about whether a slow walk actually can burn more fat that a fast walk or run. He says this is completely false. Researchers had published that you can somehow burn more fat by doing less because your body does tend to get a greater percentage of its energy from fat when you're less active. But what people need to realize is that the PERCENTAGE of the energy that comes from fat is dropping, too. According to Fenton and what I have read in a lot of posts on MFP, what matters most is that you are burning more calories overall.

Anyway, this is what Mark Fenton says on the topic. Interested to hear what others say since I walk an hour a day (4 mph/4 miles daily) and would love to shorten that up and use the extra time elsewhere!!!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    totally agree with it. You are shocking your body into burning fat/ using calories several times a day.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    but I too am one of those get the walk out of the way in the morning people. I do the 3.5 miles in an hour. But come the midwest winters I might be doing shorter spurts more often. But it does really make sense.