Stress Fracture / Weights

Options
I'm pretty sure I have a stress fracture. I go in on Wednesday to see a podiatrist.

I have two weeks left of Insanity and freaking out they're going to slap the boot at me!! Obviously I can't continue with Insanity, so do you think its okay to do weights? Like, Jamie Eason's Live-fit 12 week trainer, if I avoid the feet/legs (or can I do these)?

Of course, I will ask the dr, but I'm starting to freak, thinking I will not be able to do anything.

Replies

• phatycake
    Options
    bump ♥
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You probably want to avoid the injured area with your weight training but you should be able to work around it.

I've been an avid weightlifter for years and have never had a stress fracture as a result. Just one pulled back muscle and I tweaked my rotator cuff once.

Just don't make the "girl" mistake and do 50 reps because you only want to tone. :) No such thing as toning. You are either building muscle or losing it and it is impossible for women to get man-like musculature without some serious supplementing (read: steroids.)

Start with a weight you can do for eight reps, then work up to about 12. Then raise the weight and drop back down to 8 and continue.
  • topyule
    topyule Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can do weight training. You will be limited in most leg exercises, but that should not present a major problem. I broke my leg and continued to left with minimal interuption.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    this is my experience with stress fracture

27 aug... out jogging... severe pain in the foot... enough to make me turn around and limp home (I haven't quit a workout in a long time... the pain was so severe caused me to take 45 min to hobble 1/2 mile)

next day went to doc (on crutches... because it hurt like hades).... sent for xray... was told "suspected stress fracture, non conclusive"... went home... next day I had to work so I asked them what to do for my foot... got the big boot... worked three days off two... on the next night I worked caught the boot on a patients bed and felt my foot grind... the pain had steadily gotten worse over the nights working... the day it did the grindy thing... I had to sit in my car for 20 min and lamaze breathe before I could go home...

that day I put myself back on crutches... and called the doc... they sent me to an orthopedist... she said that it was a definite stress fracture... and said do not put weight on it for at least 4 more weeks... I go back on the 10th...

the pain is intense... and beyond anything I have ever encountered... I am pretty much attached at the hip (er foot...) to my heating pad as that is the only time I can breathe... I am told it gets better as it heals...

so my point in all this... make sure you treat it properly and let it heal so you don't injure it further... I am going crazy right now because before I could at least rest my foot flat on the floor... and put some light pressure on my heel... this morning I was like I only have to stretch one tiny half step to reach something I will just put my heel down and reach... no... serious no... horrible intense burning pain... sigh

I am stuck at home (it's my right foot... can't even drive) and I am going nuts... but I know if I don't let it heal then I will have problems forever...

so for your original question... yes by all means do weight training... if I had weights here I would do my upperbody stuff (I don't and can't get to gym) but I only have resistance bands so I am trying to figure out something that actually feels like exercise and not just waving this rubber band around... BUT protect your foot... please... please,,,, please.... protect your foot to avoid injuring it more