Hello and help with the diabetic diet

Options
Hello folks and thanks for taking a look at my post.
I just received news that will and is life changing. My doc told me I have type II adult (Diet and oral med controlled) onset diabetes. Bummer! But he also let me know that I can beat this and stem any progression of the disease if I change my lifestyle and learn to eat and exercise. So Here I am tracking my calories and carbs to keep my blood sugars down and get down to a weight healthy for my body.

I wanted to know if any other type II diabetic folks are out here on the site and have come up with a great eating plan? am new to all this and its a struggle at the start but I trust that in time i'll get the hang of it, get healthy again and maintain my health.

Any ideas?

Lewis

Replies

• butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    Hi Lewis, I am not diabetic but my mum has type1 and my dad has type2, I have been told I have to keep my weight down so I do not develop it. If you want to stick to some sort of diet then the GI diet would be a good one as it uses blood sugar levels to keep them steady and keeps you fuller for longer!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic taking oral medication and I know for a fact that moderate but regular exercise has an enormously beneficial effect on blood glucose control. However, if I ease off on exercise, my blood glucose levels begin to rise to undesirable levels again, even with medication. But that's the reality with diabetes: if you dont work to control it, things will get pretty nasty.
  • Airboy1961
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I started exercise and my readings went from 235 to 175 after exercise. Pretty cool.
  • NachoAverageGal
    Options
    Hi Lewis,
    I had gestational diabetes with both of my children and now am considered pre-diabetic. I don't take any medication......yet. From experience, I can tell you that with exercise and proper diet, type II diabetes is manageable, but it takes dedication. There are a lot of good diets for it out there, but the key is sticking with them, which has proven difficult for me. Best of luck in your new lifestyle. You can do this!