Legumes and Lentils

Options
Recently added Lentils to my diet for the cheap protein; but I'm noticing I'm retaining a lot more water because of the fiber... Like 3 lbs of water (weighed 150.2 in AM and went to bed weighing 155.8 then after BM weighed 152.8. So what what does the jury say about legumes and lentils? Eat 'em? Or ditch them?

Replies

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I suggest not weighing multiple times a day. Pick a time of day and don't deviate from that, if you really want to weigh daily. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why you weigh more multiple times a day.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I suggest not weighing multiple times a day. Pick a time of day and don't deviate from that, if you really want to weigh daily. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why you weigh more multiple times a day.
    \

I weigh every Monday but I do throughout the day to take notice of bloating and oddities. To me, this is an oddity. Anyone else have problems with legumes and lentils?

On a side note, I also increased my calories recently from 1200 to 1600 so it could be adjusting to that too. But I still have to ask about the legumes/lentils because I'm still trying to lose weight and I don't want to jack it up (but 1600 is 500 deficient from my TDEE so I had to switch to the healthy deficiency).

EDIT: The paleo diet doesn't include legumes/lentils. Is it because of the high starch in them? Or is it because of the anti-nutrients?
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching the responses to this thread. This is my first week and I was planning to add some lentils and legumes in. I do know that I cook beans with a good bit of salt so I know I'll have to be careful with that. Did you check the sodium content of yours? Could be a contributor.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I'll be watching the responses to this thread. This is my first week and I was planning to add some lentils and legumes in. I do know that I cook beans with a good bit of salt so I know I'll have to be careful with that. Did you check the sodium content of yours? Could be a contributor.

I cooked the lentils from a triple washed dry lentil package and I did not include salt. Been having abdominal cramps and bloating and a heaviness in my colon region. I normally only eat fruit and veggies for my fiber and have a bm once every other or third days but I've gone twice today already and they are typical consistency only more of it. I am beginning to think this was a bad idea....
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Bump < Waiting for an answer
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Nevermind. Just researched and found that legumes and lentils should be avoided by people with IBS, an IBD, or an AID like Crohn's or Celiac; this includes me. If anyone has a comment to leave, feel free to; I'm always looking for new information.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Add a pinch of bicarb. It stops the bloating/ gas from the lentils