Getting back on track..

Options
I'm having such a hard time getting back on track after Christmas. I was doing so good before then, I even got under 200 the week before Christmas, and now I'm around 203. I've even lost a pound or 2 since the weekend! But now I find it very hard to stay within my calories and I've been craving junk like crazy. I haven't had this problem in a while and I forgot how hard it is to get over. Is anyone else having this problem? I was thinking I could just try to eat a little less daily until I'm back at my suggested amount of calories so I don't feel deprived. But as it is now I've been going 400+ over some days (and that's AFTER adding in my exercise calories.......) I hate it! I really wanted to get to 175 by March, but at this rate I'll be lucky to not gain :indifferent: .

What should I do to get back into the swing of things without making myself feel deprived?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I know it's easier said that done, but when I struggle (and lately I struggle often), the hardest part is just getting 1 good day under your belt. For me, once I have one really successful day, my momentum is back, and I have another great day. One of the best pieces of advice I've received on this board is not to think about things too much- just do it. The more you stress about "oh my goodness why is this so hard?" or "Ugh! I was doing so good... now I'm failing" etc. the harder it will be. You can do it- you already know that for a fact because you have been doing well! Just gotta pull yourself up and do it again. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • azreddun
    azreddun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read your post and it made me think of all the times that I have "derailed" during this process. I read a saying somewhere on line "fall down 7 times, get up 8," that was supposed to be a Japanese saying, not sure bout that. But... it does describe the process very well. It's not that you got off track, it's that you got back on track, eventually, that matters the most. Don't be hard on yourself, ride it out, don't throw in the towel. Consider that it could be your old habits wanting to be back in your life. Consider that this could be self-sabotage, out of fear of change (this doesn't usually happen at a conscious level). Good luck getting back on track, Best wishes.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kelynn. Ive been eating junk since Thanksgiving...non-stop. I finally decided that I was going to get back on track this week (although I DID want to call it a wash and start over in the new year :blushing: ) and went back to my routine on Tuesday. Tonight was the first day in weeks that I stayed within my calories AND put my time in at the gym. Needless to say, I FEEL GREAT. Not to mention that I am totally motivated for tomorrow...except for the drinks but ahhh well.

See if you can stick to it for a good solid day (gym and food). It will help you remember how good it feels...

Good Luck!

:drinker:
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Another tip would be to watch WHAT you are eating. Sugar and simple carbs stoke spike your metabolism for a short time and the result is a crash and hunger/cravings. Make sure you are eating plenty of protein and fiber. They will make your feel more satiated for a longer time. the result should be a lower calorie count.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    You're all right. I just have to make myself get back at it. I know I can, I've done it before. The weird thing is usually I don't eat very healthy and stay within my calories, but here this past week I've been eating a bunch of healthy things and going over.. of course this only started after my Christmas binge. My workouts have stayed strong since April of 08, the only times I haven't worked out was when I was sick (and of course I take a day off weekly)! So it's just the eating right thing.. But I'm determined. I'll get back. I guess I just needed to hear some words of encouragement! Thanks!
  • abbychick
    abbychick Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! I have no words of advice since I've fallen hard several times in the last couple of years and have never been able to stick with the program long enough for great results. Look at how much you've already lost!! You found that will power and motivation in you somewhere before and you'll find it again. :smile: I'm getting back on track as of Jan 1st and I'm not letting anything get in my way this time!! Let me know if you want any daily check in buddies for extra motivation. Good luck!!
  • Amy12391
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I had 3 good days and a little while ago ate a cookie and a brownie. I caught myself with the brownie and threw it away after a few bites and then left the kitchen. I am determined not to let that slight misstep derail me.
    Maybe you should increase the number of calories you allow yourself temporarily? Since we all know this is mostly a head game, would that make you feel better about yourself and stop further straying? Good luck.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    It's so strange... the next day after I wrote this post I weighed in around 200. Today I weighed in at 200.2! So I'm only up .4 pounds since my lowest weight on Dec. 17! And this was after eating a good dinner and staying up most of the night last night, plus a drink! :bigsmile: I feel MUCH better now and I have a good feeling that I'll reach my goals this year!

Happy New Year and good luck everyone!!!
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    You're doing great! Don't forget that. Keep up the workouts, and get back on track with the food when the holidays are over. I go back to work Monday, so that's when my holidays are over. I intend to use my few extra holiday pounds as motivation. 2010 is a whole new year to begin anew and reach your goals. Enjoy it!