Take Aways: Do I feel guilty? Like heck do I!

Options
I see a lot of people complaining about others having take aways and 'cheating', etc, but I don't get it. To me, this is a lifestyle change and not just a diet, something a lot of people on this site seem to think as well. So, me saying to myself 'Right, I'm never having a kebab or an Indian ever again' is going to get me down and make me hate it. I will be miserable because all I'll think is 'Can't have this' or 'Can't have that'.

I'm Lactose Intolerant, there is already a lot of things I can't have, add a diet on top and it can make things tricky if I'm 'strict' and don't have 'naughty' things. I'll just feel too restricted. So, instead of saying 'NO!' I say 'Yes, but in moderation'. After all, I can eat and eat and eat all the fruit, veggies, crackers, pasta, meat, etc, until I've filled my calories. As long as it's not every day and I keep under my calories and fat, what's wrong with having the odd kebab? I see nothing wrong with it and dislike it when people get down on others for indulging. No, actually, not indulging. For eating something that people eat world wide without thought.

I have respect for those that don't eat it at all; whatever works for them, works for them. But for me, personally, I just couldn't. I get tired running around after 2 kids, studying, looking after a dog, doing general 'one-of-two-adults-running-a-home-and-family' activities. Sometimes I am too tired to cook, and as long as I'm under my calories, then who cares?

Again, no hating on that don't, but I would just get down if I was too restrictive with what I can and can't eat. Personal thing :)

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros go for it. You have to be able to live this way for the rest of your life. learning moderation in all things lets you live as a happily balanced and functional human being - not a miserable Grinch!

Go for it! Life happens. Learning to deal with it successfully is what this is all about.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think if you say no to absolutely everything, then you're more likely to fail. Good on those who can do it, but I certainly couldn't! I love food too much lol
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your will power...moderation doesn't exist in my head, so I have to eliminate the bad foods.
    If I don't I want the bad things all the time.

'Eat all the things!'
    Sorry Meme humor. :)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. It's important to eat clean and take in healthy foods most of the time, but it's also important to live your life and enjoy yourself. If you are a person who enjoys tasty food, then that is just part of it. I am a total food snob, I love food but I can't stand bad, crappy, overly processed, mass produced crap. I will go out and enjoy delicious dinners and fix not so healthy meals and dessert at home from scratch, but that is only a small part of my diet. I think people on MFP care way too much about what everybody else is eating and like to get on their soapboxes and preach.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up the things that I don't have to give up. I am on a doctor ordered vegan diet (intolerant to eggs, dairy and beef/chicken/pork) and I have Celiac. I refuse to totally give up the things I can have, especially pop and chips. I don't eat them all the time, but I do eat them once in awhile as a treat
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I had Chinese take away last night, I had king prawn with black bean, chow mein noodles and mini vegetarian spring rolls. It fit in my calorie allowance and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When it arrived they'd sent free prawn crackers so I threw those straight in the bin (must ask them not to send next time) and I straight away binned half the chow mein noodles as I'd allocated myself half and have a habit of mindless eating.

I am learning to control portions and still eat what I enjoy, not restrict my diet to the extent I have to say no to meals out or a take away with my boyfriend. Totally cutting out these things for me wouldn't work, I'd stick at it for a couple of weeks then spectacularly fall off the wagon. Each to their own I say.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for nearly a year and being gluten and dairy free I'm with on NO MORE. I put up with enough and denying myself the occassional restaurant trip or treat is so not in my world. I want to be able to happily eat the way I do for the next several decades and I make room in every day for a treat, chocolate, or ice cream, or even a GF donut, lol. As long as it fits my calories and I have met all my daily needs who gives a big rip and it makes me happy, lol.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    youve got to have a nice take away now and again!! some people are very anal when it comes to things like this........no one i know though. in moderation its fine
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    'Right, I'm never having a kebab or an Indian ever again'

An Indian? Cannibalism is crossing the line for me....

JK, I completely agree, I can't completely omit my favorite foods either, or that is all I think about, if I want it, I have a small portion of it.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm the same way: I might limit how much of something I'll eat, but there's nothing at all that I enjoy that I'll cut out 100%. I have one day every 2 weeks that, because of my work schedule, I end up eating fast food/take out/etc, and we don't have particularly healthy options here - but every other day, I eat like I normally would, just making healthy substitutions like light instead of full-fat sour cream, lower fat beef, etc.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people complaining about others having take aways and 'cheating', etc, but I don't get it. To me, this is a lifestyle change and not just a diet, something a lot of people on this site seem to think as well. So, me saying to myself 'Right, I'm never having a kebab or an Indian ever again' is going to get me down and make me hate it. I will be miserable because all I'll think is 'Can't have this' or 'Can't have that'.

I'm Lactose Intolerant, there is already a lot of things I can't have, add a diet on top and it can make things tricky if I'm 'strict' and don't have 'naughty' things. I'll just feel too restricted. So, instead of saying 'NO!' I say 'Yes, but in moderation'. After all, I can eat and eat and eat all the fruit, veggies, crackers, pasta, meat, etc, until I've filled my calories. As long as it's not every day and I keep under my calories and fat, what's wrong with having the odd kebab? I see nothing wrong with it and dislike it when people get down on others for indulging. No, actually, not indulging. For eating something that people eat world wide without thought.

I have respect for those that don't eat it at all; whatever works for them, works for them. But for me, personally, I just couldn't. I get tired running around after 2 kids, studying, looking after a dog, doing general 'one-of-two-adults-running-a-home-and-family' activities. Sometimes I am too tired to cook, and as long as I'm under my calories, then who cares?

Again, no hating on that don't, but I would just get down if I was too restrictive with what I can and can't eat. Personal thing :)

I totally agree with you on this. The "good food" vs "bad food" mantra is nerve wracking. It causes people to binge and feel guilty. We all know what "healthy" is. I ate organic years ago before they started this "clean eating". What does "clean" mean anyway, it is different for each person.

I was a 100% organic fanatic when I was obese. I mean I soaked my own grains and bean, fermented sauerkraut and kombucha, made my own whey and cheese, use all raw organic dairy, made my own bread, ate only free range organic meats, blah blah blah. Too much food is too much food, too many calories are too many calories, does not matter how clean the calories are.

I still eat mostly all organic, especially meat and dairy because of the hormones, steroids, and antibiotics.

I mostly use stevia instead of artificial sweeteners.

However, if on occasion a low carb tortilla or some fat free cheese or yogurt, or a sugar free pudding snack will keep me in my calorie budget, keep me from going insane, and keep me moving forward, and move me from obese to fit that it's healthier than being a 100% clean obese person.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Saying I can't have x and y for the rest of my life? No way. For me the whole point of this is also to learn how to eat the things I enjoy in responsible portions so that I never feel deprived but maintain a healthy weight. I do not want food to be my enemy. People who make food their enemy don't seem to be happy and I never want to be that way.

I've successfully lost weight each week I've been here on MFP, I just know how to have a small slice of cake at a wedding reception. I know how to make healthier choices when eating out at a restaurant, it works into my day and I enjoyed myself without any guilt. :)
  • Ruxie
    Ruxie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think you've got it totally right Bex. I mean, I think thats one of the great things about the site, not only can you manage things in a way that works for you, but it's very educational about just how bad some of those things are for you, and you can make decisions that fit your lifestyle to figure out how to get through either without those things, or somehow in moderation. :) I find that my willpower grows stronger every day, and I love having this community supporting me! <3
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    I agree. I had a roast beef sandwich from Arby's tonight. I don't feel guilty. It fit in, I never have fast food, and so I don't feel guilty.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I agree totally as well. I have tried many diets before and the minute I wanted Chinese or Chocolate, I would manage to not have them for a month or so but then I would start to resent my new diet and would give up and nom totally on the food that I was craving. Then I would feel guilty, resent myself for giving in and voila, the cycle would begin all over again. Here I can see how many calories things are, and go without other things so I can have a little bit of what I fancy. I agree with the soapbox thing, I feel that those on a strict diet do resent those that eat 'bad' foods because they don't or choose not to. The fact that they see it as cheating is laughable, this is not a test, this is my life and I eat what I want to eat in proportion!! I actually had someone delete me as a friend here because they didn't like the fact that I eat takeaways. I have C.F.S, sometimes I cannot get out of bed, so cooking and preparing a meal is not an option on those days and that is when I have a takeaway. But do I make better choices? Yes I do thank you very much. I ensure that I hardly ever go over my calories, (even though I have a feeling I should be eating more) and I hardly ever go over my carb or fat allowance, so what is the problem? I think there is a thin line between supporting someone and preaching to someone. If you eat clean, good on you, but I am happy the way I am and if i lose weight slower, then that is my decision. I gained weight over the years and I will lose weight over the years, this is a life choice for me and I plan to be this way for life! Good OP love x