Attention all Zumba (ers)

Options
I have 2 questions.

1. How much do these classes cost?

2. Is it hard on your knees?

I have grindy knees, but no pain and want to keep it that way.

Replies

• TachaB
    TachaB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In my area clases are as cheap as $5 for drop-in or $30 per month for unlimited. It can be hard on your nees, but my instructor shows low impact options for those who have knee trouble... like me. :smile:

It's lots of fun. Most of the time I forget I'm exercising. :smile:
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've just started to go to Zumba!! For my area it is $5 to walk in or about $30 for a month in which you can go to unlimited classes.
    I have only done 2 classes so far, but I see all people of all ages and sizes. I see many of them doing smaller movements than the instructor or I do.
    I think it can be a high impact workout if you push to that, like there are times you jump. But if you have knee problems you can always modify these and not do the little jumps.

Oh, and in my area they have a Zumba class for older people or beginners, or anyone who might have knee problems or injuries. I think they call it Zumba Golden?
  • TimeFourMe
    TimeFourMe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Same. $5-7 per class. Less for buoying in bulk. Classes are awesome!!!! Go and try it out. So much fun!
  • Josette89
    Options
    I bought a cd and I do it for free everyday :) It is tough on the knees, I knew a Zumba instructor who had to cut down on some of her classes because her knees were getting bad. I actually prefer to do it in the privacy of my own home, I feel like I can get really crazy with it and burn so much more.
  • connette51
    connette51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Zumba Gold is for the ones who do not want the intensity (jumps, twirls, etc), of Zumba. Zumba is high intensity, jumping, faster beat music etc. Costs vary from instructor to instructor. Mine has three options to pay, 10 class punch card, 40 per month, and 7 for drop in visit. Call around and see what is offered in your area. Zumba or Zumba Gold will still provide lots of exercise but especially fun. Most of the music comes from Latin origin. The beat will get you dancing and is great exercise. A one hour class goes by in no time at all.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    we have one thats $1.50 per class
    and yes, I have arthritis in both knees and I can only do it a couple times a week or it hurts my knees
  • olgamarie_t
    olgamarie_t Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    they give them even in ymca,prices kinda the same everyone is saying,if ur a college student ymca has special college student membership price.Im 41 and I have rheumatoid arthritis so Ive taken the Zumba Gold which is for people who regular zumba is hard or for beginners, and I gotta tell u dont be fooled its not that easy either those older ladies can do more than me but it was easy on the joints
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    My zumba class offers various levels of intensity so u can completely decide on how much impact ur knees will get x
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I have arthritis in my right knee (due to 16 years of dancing) and Zumba is one of the only cardio exercises that doesn't hurt my knee! I have the Exhilarate DVD set, but I'm sure the classes are good too!
  • AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Where I live the classes are from $3-$5 dollars a class if you want to check out zumba at home for free look on YouTube and just type in zumba. Good luck! and have fun! :happy:
  • fitanndfab
    Options
    I have found Zumba to be one of the best cardio workouts. The cost is similar to those who have already posted. I would like to suggest that when you find a class ask them if they offer the first class free. That will give you a opportunity to try the class. Just keep in mind the first class can be challenging but keep going and it will get easier and you will enjoy the class. In regards to knee pain pay attention to your body. If it hurts modify the movement. Just keep moving. I know you can do it.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also have arthritis in both knees. I have found that wearing the proper athletic shoes is a must with a smooth bottom shoe in which you can pivot safely prevents torking your knees. I had to try three different pairs before finding the best ones for myself. Read recommendations online at the Zumba sites, and Zappos. Also, I opt for lower impact steps and still get a good workout. In my area, the cost is anywhere from $10=$20 dropin. However, I do it through my gym. Good luck! It is a lot of fun.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    It's a part of my gym membership. I find it good on my knees and you do what YOU can do. I also advise getting the DVD and you can dance whenever you want from the comfort of your home.
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Biking, running, and some repetitive movements tend to make one of my knees hurt, but zumba doesn't. Here it's $3 walk-in or a monthly punch card for $30. Where I go they also have black light zumba, which is a lot of fun.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    In my area I usually pay either $2 or $3. I've paid as much as $7 when on vacation, but I have to be desperate to pay that much. If you have bad knees, I'd suggest you get Zumba or some other kind of dance shoes that do not grip the floor like regular workout shoes would, and make sure you don't do it on carpet. Also some have already mentioned the low impact option or Zumba Gold classes.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    just started mine last week. Love it so far!
  • rp2chil
    rp2chil Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for this suggestion, I wish I read this about two months ago when I first started zumba. And of course, I'm not sure if it is due to my overweight, age, or cheap sneakers, I hurt my knees. So.. I have had to stop to give it a rest, and I'm starting Physical Therapy this week. Really bummed. Finally found activity that I loved and had to take a break. Thanks for listening.
  • rp2chil
    Options
    p.s. - in our area, $5 is cheap for zumba. I have paid as high as $12 for a class. Additionally, there are classes in next few towns that charge $15 for 45 min class. That's a bit much.

But, I hear you, going on vacation, it is pricey as it is, too bad, zumba was not inclusive.
  • rp2chil
    Options
    My zumba class offers various levels of intensity so u can completely decide on how much impact ur knees will get x

That's a good teacher if they are offering different variations of steps. I have been to four different zumba classes and none of the teachers will ask the class if anyone has any injuries or offer to do this step if you have this injury. Ok, maybe I'm expecting a lot, but it would be good practice, I suppose.
  • harleyhuny27
    harleyhuny27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well in my area which is rural NC my class is only $3.00
    It can be hard on your knees but after having a torn meniscus/ and osteoarthritis and a broken ankle I go at my own pace, and I have lost weight. They do have aqua zumba and zumba gold you might could check into less impact