What can you do with Kale?

Options
2»

Replies

• SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Lovely lightly steamed and tossed with black bean sauce :)
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Jrbb03092 this recipe sound perfect for the fall! Thanks!
    We made this soup last week and used kale in it (my 12-year-old kidlet's choice). It was delicious.

Hearty Bean Soup

Prep Time: 10 min.
    Cook Time: 25 min.

1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) chili flakes
    3 fresh tomatoes, diced*
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
    2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen cooking greens - we used kale
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and chili flakes for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, beans, broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in greens and cook for about 5 minutes or until wilted and tender. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 167 calories; 10 g protein; 5 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 5 g fibre, 663 mg sodium

* you can sub a can (28 oz/796 ml) of diced tomatoes for fresh but the fresh were really lovely
  • LessJITT
    LessJITT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great question! Thanks for all the ideas! :drinker:
  • AlliH621
    AlliH621 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!
    tear into chip sized pieces
    toss with olive oil and salt
    sprad onto ungreased cookie sheet
    roast until crispy @400 deg F

delish. You'll think you were eating potato chips. You will eat the whole thing yourself and that's OK!

This is what I was going to recommend also! They are really good!!!
  • minuet42
    Options
    Okay, seriously: there is nothing you can't do with kale. Everything above is great - soups, wilted or fresh in salad, roasted for chips - but my absolute favorite thing to do is use it as a side on it's own or, prepared the same way, as a base for other deliciousness. Get a touch of oil in the bottom of a very hot pan, then add the kale, chopped or torn into tiny pieces. Salt and pepper, then whatever you like (cumin and sesame seeds are my go-to), and cook it till it submits to your superior will. Adding onion or garlic or shredded carrots (anything that will give it a touch of sweet) just makes the good even better.

(Oh, and what I meant by using this as a base - I often to veggie bowls for breakfast, starting with this, adding both the onions and the carrots, plus zucchini or mushrooms or fennel or whatever else, then crumbling some tofu in it as well. It ends up making a ton - enough for the whole week - but that may just be because I keep adding whatever sounds good. It's a great way to start the day, lots of vitamins to get you going!)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Homemade Kale chips and I love this recipe for a Kale and Mango salad:

Massaged Kale and Mango salad
    Ingredients
    1 bunch kale stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
    1 lemon, juiced
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons honey
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
    Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons
    Directions
    In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/crispy-kale-chips-recipe/index.html

My favourite is mash, steamed kale, carrots, gravy & mint sauce, simple veg but delicious & you can load the plate with the kale & carrots without having to worry on loads of extra calories! (If we decide to add protein, it's usually quorn beef strips)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=kale&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=

I've done the kale, mushroom & cashew stirfry - delicious!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    LOL no glasses on & I thought that said Kate :)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can put it in smoothies!
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Stick it in the juicer with apple and lemon, yum.

Put it in the oven and sprinkle with dill and sea salt to make chips.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I only use it in my green protein smoothie every morning.

Saving for the soup and chip recipes.
  • Carmen10017
    Carmen10017 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shred some cabbage, tear up tender end pieces of kale only (curly ends), toss with a little chopped onion if you like that, soy sauce or Bragg's amino acids/olive oil/lemon juice mixed to tast. Really good and you can eat it for a week if you make it using a head of kale, a head of cabbage (or even a half).

This is my absolute favorite way to eat kale. Fresh and tasty. It is better than seaweed salad.
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    Thanks ...Been grocery shopping and will be trying a few of these ideas this week and more next.