Finding my Motivation

Options
Hey,
I just wanted to see if anyone could "inspire" me or help me regain the motivation I had just over a month ago.

I just graduated from a 3 and a half year undergrad. I have been in school since September 2008 non-stop, going all through the summer full-time until just about 2 weeks ago. It is a great feeling to finally have graduated and be done with it all (although figuring out what to do with my life as a non-student is no easy task). During school, and especially in the summer, exercise and feeling strong were, I think, the most important thing keeping me on track, keeping me focused and keeping me sane. I ate well and I had tons of motivation. I would run in the morning, hit the gym in the afternoon after class and watch my diet like crazy.
I thought that graduating would give me more time to do all this, and even give me the time to do it better, but over the past few weeks I have found I cannot keep the chocolate out of my mouth and the calories at an acceptable number. I was looking fantastic and everyone around me could not stop telling me and I am feeling like I have fallen off that train.

I know that when you go-go-go like I have been for the past 4 years with school, as soon as your body stops, it kind of crashes in a way, a good way. I am recuperating, I realize that, but it is also a little scary to not be in control when you are so used to feeling so great all the time. I have not gained any noticeable weight, but I definitely feel softer, less strong, and always full... a horrible feeling.
How do I get back on?That is the hardest thing when it comes to exercise and diet control is the motivation behind it all. I don't want to gain 10 lbs before getting it back.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    While motivation can help you along this journey, it is really your commitment to it that will see you to the end. I use a few different sites and I always browse the before and after picture threads. They are a tremendous boost for motivation purposes, not to mention.... that a lot of the times the ones posting those before and after pictures will share their story of triumph. My advice is look to yourself and the future you see for yourself as a motivator, then commit or recommit yourself. It's a tough journey, but one that is very rewarding, emotionally and physically.:happy:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Get back into the gym or run, don't just let er go!! YOU will feel soooooo much better! All it takes is that one day back, hurry run do not walk. You've heard the saying death by chocolate, you are much to young to die!!!! You can do it come on!!!!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you don't seem to have the motivation to hit the gym hard, see if you can sneak in exercise as transportation. If it's not snowy where you live, buy yourself a good road bike with a basket as a new year's gift and use it to get around (go shopping, run errands, get to work). I live in south korea right now, which is really condensed, so i can walk everywhere i go. the days i just walk to and from work i burn like 116 cals, but if i swing by the grocery store on the way home, that adds another 130.

the nice thing is, i've burned all this before i even think about having to work out. maybe this could work for you.

another thing you could do is give yourself a definitive rest week. count calories, but don't berate yourself for not working out. sometimes you do need recuperation time. but after that, get back to the gym!

good luck!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    if you are recuperating, allow yourself to do so and be patient as your body adjusts to your new life style. Be mindful of your eating choices, though, maybe switch to hot cocoa (not that instant crap, real-deal beautiful cocoa) with a little honey or stevia instead of mowing down a bar of chocolate. Then, at least, you're not having SO much sugar, and if you make it with skim milk you'll be getting a little wholesome goodness too.

Get back on the exercise train, though. You don't have to bust your butt in the gym to keep it off the couch. I'm a huge advocate of yoga, I practiced hot yoga when I was at home (not available here where i'm working so I have to make do with other styles) and found that it was excellent for feeling strong and empowered while still being relaxing, plus, becuase it's done in a heated room you get a good sweat on and have the feeling of afterglow when all is done. Even just going for a walk might be good for you on more than just a physical way, a pleasant stroll through a park or a pretty neighborhood, especially after a fresh snow, can be very calming and relaxing. Maybe right now your body wants a more nurturing kind of exercise.

I do agree with Delphi that commitment is more powerful than motivation, especially in times of transition. You may see other time where your routine gets overhauled, but if you can draw from that deeper well of strength and commitment you'll have something to hold onto despite whatever turmoil might come your way.

Good luck!
  • CarolynD1986
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies. They are very much appreciated.

I do live in a snowy place which is another reason it has gotten more difficult lately. I usually ride my bike and run to wherever I am going but it is more difficult in -30 weather (I live in Quebec..) but that is certainly no excuse. On warmer days I have started doing some winter running. I am maybe making this out to be worse than it is but I have not gone more than 2 days without some sort of exercise... it just isn't what I was doing before is all. But like you said, doing something, anything, is better than nothing.
    I think my body and my mind are both tired. I just wish I still had that drive to do 2 workouts a day without even thinking of chocolate, bread and sweets haha.
    In January though, I am going to start a kickboxing class hopefully, if I like it, and that will give me a couple workouts a week. I just find that in the winter, it is so difficult to do as much as I would like to do at the gym because it is so boring. I can give 2 hours max, but I love to get a run in before or a bike ride to work etc. Winter sucks!!!

Anyway thanks again and I will get back on! No choice right??