Fitbit

Options
your meals sync to fitbit does your exercise sync to MFP?

Replies

• LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    id like to know this cos i want a fitbit too!! Im very curious to know how much walking i do at work!!! actually my hubby says yes it does!! oh happy daysssssss!!!!!
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yes, but i can tell you one thing im just finding out now about my fitbit.. all the stuff i do in the run of a day, even with calorie estimation off, it still adjusts your calorie adjustment on MFP until midnight, so unless you know how many calories its going to subtract by then, the damn thing is useless for knowing your true calorie intake if you plan to eat back any of those calories.
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can sync your fitbit to your MFP. However you only log your food on MFP. It does show all of your calories burned throughout the day, so you will show you have lots of calories left to eat. I do not eat them. I am actually following the weight watchers plan, and go by that as far as how much I eat. It has helped me to lose 49 pounds this year. Maybe if you want to know how much of the calories you can eat back (if you do that) just log your exercise and delete the fitbit. The fitbit has a goal of 10,000 steps a day and I like to use it to see if I can get to that goal. It also tracks your sleep pattern, and your activity pattern, which I think is kinda cool. It shows how many hours of the day you were active. I like it, due to the fact if I havent gotten the 10,000 steps in it gets me to move more.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Both exercise and food should be entered on MFP and they will sync to fitbit. When you enter your exercise on MFP you record a start time and duration so it does not double dip on Fitbit. Fit bit will credit extra calories to MFP as an adjustment but be careful using those as the amount changes over the evening based on your continued actual activity.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I have wondered about this too because next month at our support group they are having a drawing for a FitBit.

I want to buy 1 if I am not lucky to win 1.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating buying one aswell. Sounds a bit confusing but I'm not very technically minded. I've got Nike fit on my iPod which is quite good for tracking runs aswell maybe I'll stick to that for now.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to log both your meals and exercise on MFP. Those then transfer over to Fitbit. Don't do it the other way around. You'll find this in the FAQ on this site.
  • 75Juniper
    Options
    yes, but i can tell you one thing im just finding out now about my fitbit.. all the stuff i do in the run of a day, even with calorie estimation off, it still adjusts your calorie adjustment on MFP until midnight, so unless you know how many calories its going to subtract by then, the damn thing is useless for knowing your true calorie intake if you plan to eat back any of those calories.

After a while you will learn what your calorie estimation should be (or close to it) and can eat your calories accordingly. Until then, some people eat yesterday's calories today.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Log it all on MFP.
    If I do a specific activity I want to get a calorie count for (eg tennis lessons) I use the stopwatch feature, sync to FB, take note if the activity record it creates and then do the entry on MFP with the information.

For stuff at the gym, I use the cal count the machines give me - and for swimming I use the settings in MFP ...

It seems to work for me that way!
  • smartgirl1540
    Options
    Your exercise does sync to the fitbit. You have to keep track of the time you start an exercise and how long you complete an exercise. It is a great tool because you do not have to log in two different places.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Fitbit is easy and takes no technical knowledge. Syncing is also easy. If you don't like Fitbit estimating your calories based on its past history than under you food plan you just tell it to pick the one that doesn't predict. You have two choices one is "predict" and the other is "sedentary". The fitbit really just adds some fun and encourages active behavior you can easily do without it as my wife thought. Than she saw how fun mine was and got her own. Now she is kicking my "situpon" and loveing it LOL.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options

I didn't know this either and I kept seeing my exercise calories adjust all throughout the day and was so friggin confused.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I had no idea there was a stop watch feature! OMG I'm an idoit
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about it, but I read some really discouraging reviews on Amazon about it. But, I guess maybe in December..if I've kept to my goals...and I see more feedback about it on here, I may get one instead of just a regular heart rate monitor to calculate the true calories burned.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yes
  • HeikeNicks
    Options
    I really like fitbit. It keeps me motivated and on target with my goals. It is a luxury that I could do without. That being said I am totally addicted to it. Every time I walk without it, I feel like I wasted my time :)
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day as I exercise or move for a period of time when I get near the base station the Fitbit snyncs automatically adding calories to my MFP. I use the Endomondo app for my walking and it syncs to the Fitbit. My exercise will show as 1 minute and the calories. I'm keeping track of my walking miles for my own information.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! It keeps me motivated to move it, move it! I don't eat back my exercise calories. My TDEE has them figured in already. I use the calorie counts and calorie burn counts from MFP and use Fitbit only as a motivator to get up off my butt and walk!
    I also love the sleep counter. I'm amazed how accurate it is computing how many times a night I wake up. It's usually dead on!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think it has all been said, but I must echo that it is a motivator. I strive for no less than 10,000 steps, unless it's a rest day, but even those days I'm conscious of my efforts... It's really pretty cool!