Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Candy or tiny bottles of Woodbridge chardonnay
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think candy is the way to go also. We did little boxes that looked like presents on each place setting that said Thank You and it was full of mints and chocolates. They got eaten up while everyone was drinking before dinner and some took them home.. these are also great for little ones to sink their teeth in.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    A gold jet ski.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've been to a lot of weddings and the only favors I like are food, usually chocolates and those mini bottles of wine. You don't even need anything fancy, maybe M&Ms in your color scheme.

This is going to sound really mean but once, the bride made some candle holder with fake flowers glued to a mini white bird cage-thing. That favor became an inside joke and it was mailed around from house to house for special occasions/holidays. Don't craft anything, IMO.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Charity donations are my preference. My sis did one for a tree planting organization.

The best tangible wedding favour I have seen were 4 little jars filled with different spices (curry powder, turmeric, chilli peppers and something else... can't remember). They had little labels on them with cute & silly names revolving around love.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I helped my girlfriend do her wedding on a very slim budget. We spent days making her favors. They were little scented potpourri balls tied with ribbbons in the wedding colors. We cut hundreds of little squares of white netted lace and dumped a bit of the potpourri in the middle and tied them up in bows. We used rose scented with pink and purple ribons for the gals and pine scented with black and white ribbons for the guys. She also had small dishes of custom colored butter mints and mixed nuts on every table and along the bar for people to munch on during the reception with a DJ. She didn't have a dinner, but did serve coffee, tea, soft drinks and champagne with the cake.

My other friends have done things like small flowering plants, small decorated Christmas trees and embossed pencils and pen sets. I think the most expensive favor was etched glass champagne flutes.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just got married in July and we did little cute boxes full of jelly beans and a fortune cookie. I wish that we had just bought a scratch and win lottery ticket for each person. I would have been much easier and not much more money at all
  • chachylove
    chachylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    we are having a vintage wedding on a boat at sunset so in a suit case we are gonna put wayfarers sunglasses with a sign saying. don get blinded by our love....kinda cheesy but i think cute. and they can use them that day and any other time
  • chachylove
    chachylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    you can buy them cheap at wholesale cost
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was a pro wedding photographer for 7 years, still do it sometimes. The best I ever saw was flip flops. It was required when people walked into the reception that they take off their shoes, and put on a pair of flip flops. They had pink ones for the girls and blue ones for the boys. It was awesome.

Another good one was a nice wine stopper.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm having a vintage wedding in a massive beautiful barn :) I don't have the wedding favors picked out yet, but I'm working on it, I'm trying to narrow down all the options I have picked.

All the people on this thread have had good ideas!
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you're making them pay for their own drinks, cash bar coupons. Hardly anyone actually keeps wedding favors anyway.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a wedding where the favor was a charity donation, nothing to take home, just a card at the table letting everyone know. I LOVE that.
    No one needs junk to take home and throw in a drawer :)

^^ This. Personally I'd much rather see the money go to a good cause than to some trinket that I will most likely throw out. The only wedding item I've ever kept was a tiny framed picture of the bride and groom, and that is in a box somewhere mostly because I feel guilty throwing out a picture of someone. If you feel that you must do something, a single piece of relatively nice chocolate seems nice to me. Nothing super fancy, just a simple piece of chocolate in a pretty wrapper.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I loved the idea of doing the plantable seed packets or bird seed things that they could put outside when they got home but I didnt have money for them at the time..You could also do a candy or popcorn bar and let them pick and choose the candy and things and the amount they want to bring.Really all depends on your budget.

our budget is next to nothing

also, it is a fall wedding! don't know if that will help

everyone's suggestions are so great, keep em coming

If your budget is tight, skip it or go with the simple piece of *nice* chocolate/candy. Seriously, I'd be relieved to sit down at a wedding and not see some stupid trinket I don't need or want that I feel obligated to take home and deal with. Even "useful" things are useful for everyone. I might not be the person to take wedding advice from though, as my entire wedding cost roughly $500.
  • Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My sister gave out Christmas tree ornaments for her wedding favor. Another wedding I went to had little picture frames (as in, not bigger than 2x4 inches, and used them as place cards. Brilliant - those two are the only wedding favors that I really liked. The others were not as memorable.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wedding favors are not required, so if budget is tight skip them.
    In my opinion, edible is almost always the way to go and generally tend to be well received. I would hesitate to go with something they would take home as often people don't take/use it. To me, its just a waste. With food stuff, its easy to find some use for it Although friends of ours did the beer cosy thing and I loved it.

As for donations, I have no problem at all with them. However, if you ask on wedding etiquette boards, the consensus tends to be its a dont. Just an FYI if you are concerned about that. Some people are, some aren't and it may depend on your social circle. My only suggestion on charities is to choose carefully since some can be controversial.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I went to a wedding once where the couple had small bottles of wine with their own label on it. They created and bottled it themselves--not sure where they did this. I can see brewing your own beer too. It was memorable and not a trinket to junk up your house.
  • FitGma63
    FitGma63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We did shot glasses with our names and date, filled with custom M&Ms in our colors with our names/love sayings imprinted on them. We ended up with some leftover, but overall our friends loved them!