Lifting weights at home- what to buy?

Options
I'm not able to fit going to the gym into my life right now between work and two young kids. I've lost all the weight I want to doing cardio and know I need start lifting weights to get to where I want to be. What's best to buy? Dumbbells, barbells, some sort of weight machine? Where would you shop, store or Craig's List? Money isn't really an issue.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    push ups and pull ups.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    A bench, dumb bells 8lb up to 25lbs at least, and an easy curl bar.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also a stability or bosu ball would be a good purchase.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    Options
    Bench, barbell, dumbbells, power rack, weights.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I got started with a 40 lb dumbbell set. I plan to add to it later.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Power rack, olympic weight set including barbell, plates, and clips. Some kind of mat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into adjustable dumbbells. So far, Ironmaster seems the best (and go 5 to 75 pounds): http://www.ironmaster.com/Quick-Lock-Dumbbell-System-75-lb-set-with-Rack.html#.UFZbHKNQSCp.

But, here is a review site: http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/

Also a pull up bar and stability ball. A few good books. I like "The New Rules of Lifting for Life" and "You are your Own Gym". An adjustable bench is useful also. A TRX type thing can be useful as well.

I go to a gym and I live in a very small apartment with my husband and children.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I got mine <<<< from craigs list ordered some dumbell handles and book from amazon and hope to start lifting after my tri in
    2 weeks...

I also have a stability ball and medicine ball I plan to use... We just transformed our spare room into a workout area

good luck finding what you need :)
  • Jamtab
    Options
    Regarding barbells vs dumbbells - is there a reason to start with one over the other?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Regarding barbells vs dumbbells - is there a reason to start with one over the other?

You need both, if you want good variety and a good change up workout. Of course I like the Oly bar but that will get expensive. We have one at home. If you really want a good setup, Oly bar, rack, easy curl bar, and dumb bells, and a bench.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Barbells are very adjustable in terms of weight since you can slide the plates on and off. The downside of barbell training is that you often need some sort of power rack or squat rack that allows you safe use in case you fail the weight -- you don't want it falling on top of you.

DB's are often fixed weight, unless you go with a loadable dumbbell set... which isn't a bad idea.

A good adjustable cable machine can replace the function of dumbbells in many cases (and provide more capabilities).

I'd check craigs list if I were you... see whats available in your area. The used stuff is a much better value.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Craigs list.
    Get a power rack for the basement.