Barbells vs Dumbbells

Options
Is there a reason to start with one vs the other? I'm looking to start lifting weights at home and want to buy one or the other. May end up with both but which is better to start with? Is it personal preference or something else I don't know about?

Replies

• ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Put simply:

Barbells: Higher strength capacity = heavier weight used

Dumbells: More stabilizer muscles used, and also better to promote muscular balance between both sides of your body.

Either can tone, build muscle, strengthen, etc.

Both are valuable in a fitness program IMO.
  • carolstartingover
    Options
    I use dumbbell and I have a routine and i do reps. You do more kinds of exercise with dumbbells than bar bells. You can even buy wrap around ones to put on your wrist if you want a little extra challenge.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Put simply:

Dumbells: More stabilizer muscles used, and also better to promote muscular balance between both sides of your body.

Agree. :)
    Also there are some exercises that are more suited to one vs. the other.
    Back squat, for instance -- I don't know how you'd get heavy enough dumbbells up to your shoulders for a really heavy squat.
    By the same token, any movement that involves rotation would be hard to do with a bar.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Put simply:

Great post.