Recipe Question

Options
I found a recipe that calls for 1/3 cup baking cocoa. Are they talking about cocoa powder or baking chocolate or is there something I'm missing?

Please help, I was hoping to make it for our New Year's party tonight.

Thank you!

Replies

• joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would think baking cocoa...
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The powdery stuff...
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I would think baking cocoa...

When I was at the store...nothing said baking cocoa. Just cocoa powder and baking chocolate.
  • stephcheers
    Options
    What are you making?

:drinker:
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    Use cocoa powder....that's a closer bet than the chocolate would be. Is there also sugar added to the recipe? If so, then I definitely would think cocoa powder because it is NOT sweet. Of course, baking chocolate may not be sweet either if it is unsweetened, but again I would use the cocoa powder if it said "cocoa".
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I would think cocoa powder. But if there's no other oil or butter in the recipe, it's possible unsweetened baking chocolate is what they meant. But, generally, if there's another source of fat (or a substitute like applesauce or mashed bananas), cocoa powder works just fine to give you a chocolatey flavor.
  • jnikitow
    Options
    What are you making?

:drinker:

Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake Bites

They are 122 calories for 2 bites. If they end up tasting good, I will post the recipe.
  • AprilWhine
    AprilWhine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Has to be cocoa powder because of the measurement. Baker's chocolate is measured in squares, not cups. :)
  • jnikitow
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how they come out.