Plantar Fasciitis....OUCH!!!! Any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    When I had it I did swimming for my cardio and rolled the frozen bottle under my foot. When I started running again, I did barefoot running and my Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints and knee pain went away. So now I only workout in Vibrams, however, I would try another minimal shoe.

I can't stand to run in my "professionally fitted" running shoes but run with no pain at all in Vibram FiveFingers.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch!!! I suffer from it too, I now use KT tape to help support it when I do my run/walk intervals. The tape has helped a lot!
    Good luck!

Ditto!! Stretching is the best thing you can do and I am a big believer in Kinesio taping!! Best of Luck...
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I had tried stretching, inserts, antiinflammatories, everything...
    If it is too bad, you may need to consult a doctor. I had surgery on mine last year and it is such a relief. The surgery was well worth it!
    Good luck.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I stretch, use frozen water bottles, take an ibprofen, wear inserts and use a night splint. I am on my feet all day as a CNA and I am always in pain but doing those things really help.
  • nis75p06
    Options
    I have it in both feet. I used night splints, stretching, icing, weekly injections of lidocaine, and monthly injections of corticosteroid, and custom orthotics. All of these helped somewhat but nothing healed it fully until I changed jobs and was no longer standing/walking for 12 hours a night. I still wear the orthotics and do the stretching, but don't need the injections or the splints anymore.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    I used to have it, and I found the following really helped me:

-Don't wear flip-flops too often or for too long
    -Massage/stretch arch/heel of foot before hopping out of bed in the morning. Rolling over a tennis ball or small bottle of water is good, as is massaging by hand
    -Buy cushion-y fitness shoes. I really like Saucony ProGrid Trimuph and Grid Cohesion models because they have a lot of cushion

Best of luck--know that it can go away. I used to have it every day, and now I get it a flare up only now and then, and it's super-mild (usually when I wear "bad"shoes).
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Lose 10 pounds
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from PF for years. Went to a podiatrist and got expensive inserts for my shoes, had to wear running shoes for a couple of months (all the time) and it cleared up. Well surprise! It came back and continues to flare up on a regular basis. I have a pair of Fitflops that I wear at home all the time and put them on before I walk first thing in the morning. Much as I hate it, I no longer buy cute sandals because 9 times out of 10, they have absolutely no support. I have a dog that needs to be walked twice a day (she's very active) so I rub my heel with Biofreeze before putting on my socks and walking shoes.

The PF is another reason I am talking off 25 lbs. I think less weight on my foot may help. I refuse to get cortizone shots. I have a friend who went that route and after the shots were done (her insurance would only pay for so many) the pain came back.

I bought one of the soft night splints from Foot Smart (it's an online shoe store). They also have other items to help with the pain.

Good luck and welcome to the club. :-(
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wearing minimalist shoes fixed mine. I think losing some weight helped, too, though, but I'm giving most of the credit to the shoes.