How to Battle Depression With Diet & Exercise

Options
I just read this on Livestrong.com and thought there are probably some people here that may be interested. We all have our battles right?

Almost everyone experiences occasional feelings of depression. You may feel generally sad, tearful, irritable or notice physical symptoms such as insomnia or appetite changes. However, these feelings usually pass after a short period of time. If you have clinical depression, the feelings don't pass and they may last for months or even years. Although diet and exercise can sometimes alleviate depressive symptoms, you should consult your doctor if you think you may be clinically depressed. Always inform your doctor if you plan to take any nutritional supplements.

Step 1
Eat foods high in B-complex vitamins such as meats, eggs and dairy products. According to MayoClinic.com, deficiencies of B vitamins may either cause or be a symptom of depression. Taking a multivitamin containing B complex vitamins is a beneficial way to make sure you get enough of these essential nutrients if you're not meeting the daily requirements from dietary sources.

Step 2
Take a fish oil or other omega-3 fatty acid supplement. Your body cannot manufacture these essential fatty acids and you may not be getting enough from your diet, especially if you don't like fish. Fish is a main source of omega-3 acids, which is also contained in oils such as walnut and canola. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, omega-3 deficiency can result in symptoms of depression.

Step 3
Exercise for at least thirty minutes per day. Exercising regularly helps to boost your brain's production of mood-regulating neurotransmitters such as endorphins and norepinephrine. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, studies have shown that exercising can reduce symptoms of mild to moderate depression.

Step 4
Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine. According to Medline Plus, these substances can interfere with your sleep and possibly exacerbate insomnia, one of the main symptoms of depression. If you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages, have your last cup at least five hours before bedtime, as caffeine can stay in your system for several hours.

Step 5
Consider taking an herbal supplement to alleviate your symptoms if you're not taking any prescription depression medications. Some herbal supplements that are thought to reduce depression include SAMe and 5-HTP, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Do not take these supplements in combination with prescription medications for depression because they can cause adverse side effects.

Step 6
Try a yoga class. Yoga and other mind-body techniques, such as tai chi, may alleviate symptoms of mild depression, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Things You'll Need

Multivitamin containg B-complex vitamins
Fish oil or omega-3 supplement
SAMe or 5-HTP

References

MayoClinic.com: Vitamin B-12 and Depression
University of Maryland Medical Center: Omega-3 Fatty Acids
University of Maryland Medical Center: Depression
Medline Plus: Sleeping Difficulty

Article reviewed by SarahP Last updated on: Jun 14, 2011

Replies

• lindidit
    lindidit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Those Omega 3's did it for me! I am a HUGE fan of those. Be warned however, that most medical studies on Omega 3's found that they can be beneficial for straight depression, however, NOT for depression that is also accompanied by anxiety.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I approve this message :heart:

:wink:
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Very good. I'll ry cod liver oil.