Want to run- Need help getting started

Options
My dad was a great runner in his younger days and my sis picked it up a few years ago and she looks awesome! Now it's my turn! Problem is: I don't know how to get started. Yesterday I walked about 1 1/2 miles and ran 1/10 of a mile about 3 different times. That's all I could handle! I was exhausted! Is this a start? Is there a program to follow to get me on the way to being a real runner??
Melissa

Replies

• wmb0124
    wmb0124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k on coolrunning.com. It's easy, and designed to get you running slowly. Even if you don't want to run a 5k, it'll help you start running.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started running a little over a year ago. We started out exactly the way you just did. We went outside and measured a half mile out. We would start out and run as far as we could, then walk the rest of the 1/2 mile. On the way back we would run as far as we could and then walk the rest of the way.

Everyday that we went out we would try to go one more driveway or one more telephone pole. I lost 45 pounds and a bunch of inches doing that. I also was able to run in my 1st ever 5k run/walk this last October and was able to run the entire way.

There is a couch 2 5k website out there but I couldn't do that. You alternate between running and walking every so many minutes until you're running more and walking less. Just google couch 2 5k and you'll find it.

Good luck.
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Here's a link for the Couch to 5K that gives you an idea of what to expect. I have thought about starting it, but I would like to wait until it's warmer. I hate cold weather!!

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Here's where I found that article:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • melissahager
    Options
    Thank you all! I will be checking out the couch to 5k deal. I'm kind of excited about this!