Any other adventurous eaters out there?

Options
zrmac804
zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
This weekend, out of curiosity I tried seal flipper pie for the first time. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what kinds of animals other people have tried, and what you thought of them?

My list is as follows:

Seal flipper (not sure how I feel about this. It tastes a bit like liver, or maybe canned oyster meat)
Moose
Bison
Caribou
Deer (I had a deer burger which tasted horrid and chemical-filled. I’ve heard it’s not supposed to taste "gamy" like that, but I was grossed out and am not eager to try deer again)
Eel
Rabbit
Alligator
Duck
Silkworm pupa
Octopus
And last but not least, escargot

Replies

• dinoskycm
    Options
    Wow! I'm actually a vegetarian, so my meat list is very short and ordinary, but I know a guy who eats dog treats. I'm a dog trainer, and he used to be on my team. We use freeze dried beef liver, and he would pop those suckers in his mouth like it was candy. Yuck! He also ate beggin strips, milkbones, and anything else he could get his hands on. gross!!!! :sick:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love trying new foods. I guess which foods are seen as unusual will vary from location to location - I eat duck on a regular basis, as it's my favourite meat, and it's never occurred to me to see it as unusual. And deer is not unusual to me - we call deer meat venison in the UK. Eel isn't unusual to me either, although I don't enjoy it. I love octopus though.

Let's see... These are the things I've eaten which were unusual for me:

Frogs legs
    Escargot
    Moose
    Bison
    Horse milk (hated it!)
    Ostrich
    Rabbit
    Goose
    Guinea fowl

I like gamy meat. :-) I would prefer venison burgers to taste more gamy! Not chemical filled though - that is something different entirely!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its always interesting to see what people call adventurous. like eel or octopus or deer etc...

adventurous to me is somthing like fugu or balut.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Deer (can be stringy and gamy, gotta know how to cook it properly, though not adventurous since I lived in the south)
    Alligator (love!)
    Goat (don't like it, too fatty)
    Buffalo (the only type of beef you can get in India readily, can't get cow without breaking some laws)
    Squirrel
    Rabbit
    Calamari (love!)
    Octopus
    Sheep (another thing I've never had until I went to India)
    Bone Marrow from the goat, sheep or buffalo... (didn't really care for it)

I had this when I visited the UAE... camel milk is the single most disgusting thing I've ever had. It's super salty and bitter.
  • zrmac804
    Options
    its always interesting to see what people call adventurous. like eel or octopus or deer etc...

adventurous to me is somthing like fugu or balut.

I guess I'm from a very Leave it to Beaver family. :smile: Although my mom once did serve Scottish haggis for Robbie Burns day.

:laugh: Fugu is definitely out of my price range!
    i think I saw balut on Fear Factor. I hate eating bones, though, so I would steer clear of that one
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    Squid in its own ink, eaten with rice --ate this as a kid growing up and I loved it
    Brain
    Tripe
    Tongue (don't like it)
    Frog legs
    Escargot
    Deer
    Bison
    Goat
    Eel
    All sorts of raw fish and raw beef
  • zrmac804
    Options

I had this when I visited the UAE... camel milk is the single most disgusting thing I've ever had. It's super salty and bitter.

Thanks for the warning! I'll steer clear of that!
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Thanks for the warning! I'll steer clear of that!

No problem!