Vitamins?

Options
I've been thinking about taking some vitamins but I have no clue what to take. I recently had blood work done and none of my levels or iron, B12, etc are low. So should I take vitamins?
I don't get a ton of calcium so I thought about taking that. But I also thought about taking biotin since my nails are week. And then I thought I'd take vitamin d cause I heard that gives your energy (which I'm severly lack). Now I just have no clue!!!

Suggestions?

Replies

• ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I take One A Day Women's with bone and breast health support!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you're not low on anything, don't waste your money on vitamins - spend it on fresh food instead.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I take a Calcium with D3 and B-Supplement.

I used to take and plan on taking again Omega 3, Echinacea, Capscian, and maybe Vitamin E.

Echinacea I highly recommend for your immune system. I've taken it off and on for years and I only ever get sick when I lapse on it.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i like:

-Gnc Women's Ultra Mega Energy and & Metabolism Multi Vitamins
    -Rexall Naturals - Super Potency Biotin - 5000 Mcg (boosts metabolism, healthier hair and nails)
    -Nature Made - Ultra Omega-3 Fish Oil

and i recommend buying some low cal/calorie free vitamin C drink powder. it has electrolytes, vitamins, and it helps me get my 8 glasses of water a day in (they are orange flavored, come in all flavors) you can buy them at walgreens, whole foods, target, etc.
    also vitamin C helps with iron absorption so good to wash down your vitamins with an emergen-C drink

suggestions:

-On the Go - Multi-Vitamin Drink Mix Immune/Extra Vitamin C packets
    -Emergen-C - 5 Calorie Drink Mix packets
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I take hair skin and nails. It has alot of what my multivitamin had in it(which i no longer take). It also makes my hair grown in faster* and stronger. My nails are now strong enough that i actually have to cut them or they get too long. My skin also is alot nicer (fewer breakouts) but it could just be from a healthy diet.

*My hair used to grow very slowly (.25 inch a month), but with proper vitamin intake and diet it's started growing at an average to above average rate (.75 inch a month). Some people can get an inch a month normally and some people only get half, but i do think that the hair skin and nails vitamin is great.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum for women under 50. I have trouble with anemia and low vitamin D
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    If you're experiencing chronically low energy I would advise you to see your doctor. I know a number of people who have been prescribed a B-complex or D vitamin for a limited amount of time, but you want to be sure that your symptom isn't a sign of a more serious problem.

My doctor prescribes a vitamin that is supposedly better balanced than the over-the-counter stuff. That said, I'm currently taking a daily capsule by New Chapter Organics.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about taking some vitamins but I have no clue what to take. I recently had blood work done and none of my levels or iron, B12, etc are low. So should I take vitamins?
    I don't get a ton of calcium so I thought about taking that. But I also thought about taking biotin since my nails are week. And then I thought I'd take vitamin d cause I heard that gives your energy (which I'm severly lack). Now I just have no clue!!!

Suggestions?

Did the doctor say you are anemic?
    That would be consistent with low iron (low hemoglobin) and lacking energy.

Usually a One-A-Day type is good.

Never take more than the label says to take-too much of fat soluble
    vitamins can be bad if taken over too short a period of time.

If the one-a-day doesn't have iron in it, consider iron.
  • crackdmirror
    crackdmirror Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only vitamin I currently take is the NatureMade Stress B-Complex. It definitely improves my mood, decreases the number of colds (probably due to the included zinc), and prevents that fatigued feeling. It's the only vitamin I've taken that I've noticed a marked difference in how I feel.

If you're on hormonal birth control or over 35, a Calcium/Mag/D complex should also be taken.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy! I firmly believe in vitamins, i think they are important just for the fact that eating the food just isnt enough nowadays! Produce comes from far places most of the time and most fruits and veggies start losing the nutrients once they are picked and if u have days where you just cant get your fruits and veggies in. Its better to have more then not enough. I would suggest at least a multi, and the other ones you suggested give them a try! I think u need to give it some time for them to start working, see if they make any difference for you. I take quite a few diff ones myself but i think that would be a good start if your strapped for cash. I have noticed just from dropping some weight and eating healthy with lots of vegggies ( dont really eat fruit) that my skin, hair and nails have improved, so make sure to get those nutrients in!!! And i know many people may disagree, this is just what i believe, ive done alot of research on vitamins and their purpose, and i live pretty holistically, so my views may be different then others. Just do alittle digging and find what will be best for you :)
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I take a women's one a day vitamin and calcium gummies. Most calcium has vitamin d added in correct ratio with the calcium. My pharmacist always recommends women taking added calcium (plus I take it bc I'm allergic to milk). If energy is a prob you can always take a b complex or b12 without prob bc excess with flush out. A d e and k are the non water soluble and can cause probs if u get too much.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, realize that normal labs di nth necessarily test for most vitamin ironically mineral deficiencies. I had lab work done 4 times lasty year and none showed my severe b12 deficiency bc they have to specifically request it and most song bc the extras are expensive.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I take Magnesium because most of the time they don't test for it and we have a water softener system so it's deficient in it. I get migraines and it's the only thing that keeps them away. I also take B and D vitamins. I have started taking a zinc supplement with vitamin C only because I read that's really good for keeping colds away and for fighting off all sorts of infections. It's supposed to be good for the skin and so far I have noticed my body seems to be liking it. The rest I supplement through healthy eating. I know...should take a multi-vitamin but I seem to prefer chewables....sometimes I sneak one out of my nephews sour gummy bottle. Grin.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Bump for more opinions :)