VEGETARIAN?????

jessica_benson
jessica_benson Posts: 55
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
I just bought the Book Skinny *****. So far I love the book and am about half way through it. I have never been a vegetarian but have been thinking about making the change. Are there any vegetarians here and if so do you have any thoughts or help tips for making the trtansition? I would really appreciate the help and info on getting started. Thanks you

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    My wife went vegetarian this past summer, and since she prepares most of the meals I am probably 75% vegetarian. I am a huge meat lover and have found switching not that dificult at all. You just have to make sure you get your protein in by eating things such as dairy, beans, tofu, lentil, and high protein grains.

My wife feels much better and since making the transition neither of us had gotten sick at all. Some things to keep in mind are to eat foods that are high in, or fortified with, Iron since you wont get it from meat (Blackstrap molases is great for iron), and my wife also takes a B12 suppliment. Good luck.
  • Protein has been my big question. I'm not a big meat-eater normally, but I have such a terrible time getting enough protein. How do veggies do it?
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Hey, I'm a vegetarian and have been for thirty years. I'm healthy but a tad overweight right now. It's never been an issue for me. I tend to not worry about dispersing protein through out a meal - I'll have a shake or scrambled eggs or tofu or something for breakfast and snacks, and if I'm eating out with friends I just get sides if I don't like the vegetarian option - that way I can eat anywhere. My husband does all the cooking and has some fabulous low fat veg dishes. We're not vegan though so that makes it easier. The hard part is not relying on pasta or rice for bulk. It's easier for chicken eaters, but it doesn't have to be an issue. Yes we need protein, but the amounts are way overstated in most diets.
  • Thanks for your input. It is helpful. What are other peoples reasons for being a vegetarian? I have been considering it mostly because my daughters doctor said that her hormone levels are too high for her age and suggested finding meat sources that weren't treated with hormones. So I hsve been considering organic.
  • freyathor
    freyathor Posts: 1 Member
    :flowerforyou: I have been for about 3 years now and haven't spent 1 second looking back. It was a gradual evolution for me, with industrial farming atrocities being the main influencer of how I viewed what I was ingesting.

In terms of protein - this country is protein crazy and between soy and legumes you will get more than you need. Take B vitamin supplements and otherwise you are covered.

In terms of that book you mentioned - they have a cookbook version too and it's great. Peta (regardless of your animal rights views) has a great vegetarian starter kit, my husband who is the worlds largest meat eater is even considering it. Good luck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Quick question are you going veg or vegan? There is a huge difference. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and was a vegan for about 3 years.
    Legumes, soy and soy based products (yes they can lead to breast cancer-don't become a veggie if breast cancer runs in your family), greek yogurt, and some grains (quinoa) have large amounts of protein.
    Being a veg...you have to plan all your meals in advance so you get the right amount of nutrients.
    See a nutritionist before you make a life altering change.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Thanks for your input. It is helpful. What are other peoples reasons for being a vegetarian? I have been considering it mostly because my daughters doctor said that her hormone levels are too high for her age and suggested finding meat sources that weren't treated with hormones. So I hsve been considering organic.

FYI: soy can actually increase breast tissue growth and hormones in children. Let me just state that I was a 36B when I was 11.

I've always been a vegetarian and it was because of the treatment of animals. I do not like factory farming or breeding. I do not wear leather, fur, or any other animal product. I try my best to avoid animal byproducts...gelatine (gummy snacks, jello, pudding)...ect. I do drink milk (local dairy...whom I trust to not use hormones and they treat their cows properly).

Take a look at the PETA site and it will give you a better understanding of why I'm a veggie.
  • I am a vegatarian as well, have been for a while...my husband is about 90 percent. I am one for halth reasons of course but also for political and moral reasons as well. I won't go into those here at the risk of offending anyone. Mostly I won't support the meat industry. Personally, I don't miss meat at all. I know some ppl really struggle with that but I guess I am just lucky.

As a society we get way way too much protien as it is and too much of it is animal based. Veggie peeps can get good protein from beans, soy milk, unfertilized eggs, and some veggies. I never worry if I am getting enuff protein or not and I feel fine. I just make sure and eat lots of beans or soy.

I would advise a vegetarian to take a quality vitamin supplement as well.
  • If you are really considering going veggie there is a program starting on the 1st. The 21-day Vegan Kickstart. The website has tons of great info on going vegetarian.

http://kickstartdev.pcrm.org/

And www.vegetariantimes.com also has great info on getting started.

I went veggie when I was a kid because the thought of eating animals disguisted me. I've been on and off as an adult. I feel better when I'm not eating meat and I've been told that meat is what caused my gastrointestinal problems.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    I decided to be vegetarian officially three and a half years ago. I hardly ever ate red meat but would have a turkey sandwich from time to time. I realized it wouldn't be so hard to cut out that turkey all together. My reasoning is really the gross factor. We read a book in one of my college classes that focused on the meat industry (raising and slaughtering, mostly). Itgrossed me out so profoundly, I was done with eating meat.

I know a lot of people worry about how vegetarians get their protein. I can safely say I get more protein and have a higher blood iron count than a lot of carnivores I know! I'm not vegan (there is a popular misconception between the two) so I get a lot of protein from dairy products--eggs (raised free range/organic if possible) greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I also incorporated a lot of greens (full of protein!) I honestly eat spinach in some form everyday.
    ALSO! I think it's already been mentioned, but definitely take a multi-vitamin!

Because vegetarianism is pretty main stream now, there are tons of meat free alternatives! I highly recommend the Quorn brand of TVP (texture vegetable protein). They have "chikn" strips, nuggets and "breasts" that can be prepared in traditional chicken recipes. They also have meatless meatballs! Tofu is always a great option because it's so so easy to prepare.

I recommend introducing a few of these meat alternatives into your meal plans and see how your family responds.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • i went vegetarian for 8 1/2 months and gained 20 lbs and my dr said i was pre diabetic.....soo.....ofcourse i didnt do it right. if you dont eat out a lot and have a lot of time to prepare meals then you will succeed. if you eat out a lot and get tired of salad then you will end up gaining weight....there isnt a lot more than grilled cheese and french fries most places. at least around here.
  • I've been vegetarian for 20 years, interspersed with a few years of being vegan. There are plenty of options for protein, but the key is to make your amino acids complete. Watch out for soy products as a lot of them are processed and include a fair amount of sodium. I use them once in a while, but try to avoid them as much as I can. The easiest protein substitute: Beans!! Especially mixed with rice and/or lentils!! Nuts are great too, but you have to watch the fat content here. I remember eating tons of PB sandwiches and wondering why I was gaining weight!! I've since switched to almond butter and love it!!
    It's definitely do-able. There are many websites and books with information. www.vegweb.com was very helpful to me. Tons of recipes as well. There is also a Skinny ***** cookbook. Some of my other favourites are "The Garden of Vegan" and "How it all Vegan!". Great recipes, and lots of helpful information.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.