TVP - Anyone use it, and any good recipes?

Options
DesertRains
DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
I am planning on using the Bob's Red Mill brand - wanted to try making a homemade veggie burger that doesn't cost what Boca vegan patties cost! I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I do love a good low-cal veggie burger.

I also know that TVP can be used for chili and other things. This looks like one bag stretches pretty far. Ideas? Recipes that you have tested?

Replies

• elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan) and I'm not big on tacos/burritos and never really liked ground beef when i did eat meat. You can use it for tacos, chili, soup, pasta sauce. I add it to a lot of stir fry dishes (i'm loose with the term 'stir fry') and really anytime I want to add bulk or a meaty texture. I like mixing broccoli slaw, frozen mixed veggies, TVP, chopped onion, chopped pepper, and diced tomatoes in a frying pan and covering for a few minutes to make the slaw soft.
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What is TVP??? Because when I see it I think Techincal Violators Program
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    textured vegetable protein. i believe it is just soy flour. has a ground beef texture and pretty much no flavor.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have used it in place of part of the ground beef in chilli, meat sauce for spaghetti or in soups. It pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever else it is being cooked with. I have never tried using it by itself, only as a way to extend the ground beef or ground chicken in recipes.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    It has no flavor of it's own, so I use it in everything, from sweet dishes to savory ones. I make protein bars and put it in, I put it in fritatas, I reconstitute it in broth with rice and... pretty much sneak it in everything.
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    textured vegetable protein. i believe it is just soy flour. has a ground beef texture and pretty much no flavor.

Thank you! :happy: