GAINED FIVE lbs this week-

Options
I had a completely undeserved gain of 4.9 lbs this week- I've been drinking water like crazy, so I'm thinking its just retaining water, but how do I get rid of the water?
Seems like I'm not 'going' as much as I need to....Friday I drank 1 gallon of water and apparently retained every ounce of it- I watch my sodium uintake, so I dont think that's much of the problem, but
help!! Drinking more water is not helping!!

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I had a completely undeserved gain of 4.9 lbs this week- I've been drinking water like crazy, so I'm thinking its just retaining water, but how do I get rid of the water?
    Seems like I'm not 'going' as much as I need to....Friday I drank 1 gallon of water and apparently retained every ounce of it- I watch my sodium uintake, so I dont think that's much of the problem, but
    help!! Drinking more water is not helping!!
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There may be several reasons for the weight gain. Maybe you only lost water last weigh in,and its back this week. Maybe you have gained muscle which weighs more than fat. Could be a possible water gain. Stay with it. If your calories are lower than you will lose. With only 29 lbs. to lose it will be slower going. Good Luck
  • cstolba
    cstolba Posts: 14
    Options
    I have heard about putting fresh lemon in your water to help act as a natural diuretic - maybe that would help. Also, certain medications causes water retention - so if you are on any medication you could check with your doctor.

Also, are you close to that "wonderful time of the month" we women get to go through? You could also be retaining because of that reason:grumble:

I am not a nurse or a doctor but if I were you I would wait it out another week and if you are still experiencing this I would definately contact your doctor just to be safe.

Let me know how things turn out.

Take care!
    Cara
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try weighing yourself once a month. Weight can fluctuate up and down with water intake, full bladders, a just recent meal, anything like that. As long as you are really being consistent for month, then it would probably be more accurate to pick a time in the am before you eat BF and after you pee every for weeks. Or, if 4 weeks is too long. Do it every 2 weeks. But don't do it too often. And pick a certain time of the day to compare to each time. You can gain 4-5 lbs. in a day and then go back down. Your body's weight fluctuates quite a bit durring the day. Don't worry about water weight. It doesn't really count :)
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    Get a tape measure and check your measurements!!! I have lost only 6 pounds since December, but the inches are falling off...and fresh lemon or lemon juice do act as diuretics (and make plain water taste a little better)...good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You really don't need a gallon of water. More is not always better. There is a condition you can get from having too much water. Even the 8/8 oz glasses has been proven to be inacurate but I won't get into that. 8/8 oz. glasses is plenty though.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You really don't need a gallon of water. More is not always better. There is a condition you can get from having too much water. Even the 8/8 oz glasses has been proven to be inacurate but I won't get into that. 8/8 oz. glasses is plenty though.

Totally true about too much water. It dilutes your electrolites which is bad for your body. Moderation in everything, even water.