Buying a treadmill ?

Options
I have been looking around at different treadmills and I'm not sure which one I should get. I would prefer not to spend almost a thousand dollars for one but I want one that will last. I would be using it at least five days a week.

Any suggestions for a good brand ?

I have been looking at Sears because they will deliver and set one up. Is it best to have someone deliver and set it up if you can or are they easy to set up on your own ?

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Buy a really good one second hand on ebay and then pay for it to be serviced. Couriers will deliver it for you.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here is my experience. I bought a treadmill that cost around $400. It was not working 3 months later. I bought another and paid about $750. It was not working 7 months later. I now have one that cost me $1300, and it will probably last a year or little over. These home treadmills just are not built to take a pounding. So if you are planning on running on one, be prepared to have it serviced, or just buy a cheap used one on craigslist or something for $40, run the crap out of it for a month or two and buy another one. If youre going to buy one new, make sure the weight limit is at least 100 pounds over the weight of the heaviest user, and be prepared to spend $2000 on one that will last you a while.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first treadmill was one from Sears, it was ok for the money but didn't stand up to daily use (and I was just walking back then).

My second (and current) treadmill is a Pacemaster Silver that is now close to 10 years old. Admittedly it has seen less use the last few years as I'm running almost exclusively outside all year round now but between me and the kids (who still use it regularly) it's got a lot of miles on it. You get what you pay for.......