Binge eater!!

Options
I have no idea when it started but I tend to bury myself under mounds of food and I am tired of it. I hadn't thought of a forum to have as a support group but perhaps admitting this might help. Does anyone else do this? I swear by not being that hungry when I do it - but it is almost like I don't want to succeed. What is the deal with that?

Also, my husband is a gourmet cook and a foodaholic. What can I say? I married my pusher - and it is only getting worse. He is NOT on my side and sabotages everything I try.

Love this site. I think if may be the ticket out of the binge woods but I still don't trust myself. Shall I humiliate myself and write down here when I binge? Nahhhh. Then again, why do you think weight watchers works:

Because of the humiliation factor. :sad:

Replies

• Sarie
    Sarie Posts: 17
    Options
    I have no idea when it started but I tend to bury myself under mounds of food and I am tired of it. I hadn't thought of a forum to have as a support group but perhaps admitting this might help. Does anyone else do this? I swear by not being that hungry when I do it - but it is almost like I don't want to succeed. What is the deal with that?

Also, my husband is a gourmet cook and a foodaholic. What can I say? I married my pusher - and it is only getting worse. He is NOT on my side and sabotages everything I try.

Love this site. I think if may be the ticket out of the binge woods but I still don't trust myself. Shall I humiliate myself and write down here when I binge? Nahhhh. Then again, why do you think weight watchers works:

Because of the humiliation factor. :sad:
  • sinclairel
    Options
    I sympathize Sister! :flowerforyou:

I eat when I get bored in the evening. Which is, of course, the worst time to snack. I don't know if this is your temptation time, but I learned a simple trick that actually works for me. Right after dinner, I brush my teeth. It's like my brain thinks it's bedtime and the kitchen is closed. I've also taken up hobbies like knotting that use my mind and keep my hands busy. :)

Hang in there!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a recovering binge eater. And it never worked for me to choose healthy foods to binge on. Binging on carrots and cucumbers is just not the same as cheese and chips!! The biggest help to me was to NOT eat, but to try to get down to why I was wanting to eat. Sometimes, yes, if I was being successful in losing it was a fear of success, or fear of losing weight. Or anger that needed to be dealt with. If you can journal, talk a walk and meditate or get somewhere alone to sort our your feelings and thoughts that might. Usually when I figure it out and deal with it my need to stuff my feelings/fears with food go away. Good Luck!!
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think its good you are aware of this. I think you should examine when you binge and why.I found that when I was upset I just wanted to eat to comfort myself. Lonliness, and bordom can all be good reasons. Recognizing the patterns are good. STick to your guns, find some new activities. If you start getting healthier, maybe fat boy hubby will kick in and cook healthier.HA! Talk about it, people are supportive and many creative ideas come out of this forum. We can change the way we think. Good luck!!!!
  • LaRon
    LaRon Posts: 17
    Options
    For me, I notice that when I journalize my daily food intake, it makes me full. I am a snacker but once I started to right down what I eat and calculating my calories I haven't snacked as much as I use to. My thinking is, if I eat healthier...lower calorie foods, then I can eat more...rather than eating something that is so high in calorie, I am not satisfied and I want some more. That's how it works for me...does that make sense?:smile:

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My name is Bambi and I am a recovering binge and emotional eater. When I do fall off the wagon (which I do) I find that I eat and eat and eat until I can't physically put another bite into my mouth. It really is disgusting. I had a bad day Saturday. I felt awful when I went to bed that night and most of the day yesterday. Today is a new day though. So hang in there and know there is lots of support here...even when you lose it completely. We all have those days. Willpower just "ain't" powerful enough sometimes!!
  • cstolba
    cstolba Posts: 14
    Options
    Ditto!

I am a binge eater, an emotional eater, and I eat because I love food - I am addicted to food and it has always comforted me (at least for a short time). The problem is as my body is getting older it is retaliating against me and holding on to everything. I just got sick and tired of putting myself in a position to eat when I feel good and eat when I feel bad. Even if I was in a good mood and ate- then I felt horrible afterwards.

When I was younger, I can remember binge eating in privacy so that my dad would not see me eating - he used to call me all sorts of horrible names and put me down because of my weight. Well, that led to me having a huge complex.

As with any other addiction - be it eating, smoking, drinking, gambling, shpping, or whatever else - you have to be the one to decide to do something about it. I was not going to do something about it until I wanted too - and, as of a week ago I made that decision and made a promise to myself. I also had to give myself permission to slip up but promised myself I would not be too hard on myself - Just pick myself back up and go forth.

You will always have challenges and roadblocks to contend with. My suggestion to you would be to talk to your husband and let him know what you have decided and what your goals are - then, ask him for his full support and cooperation. Maybe you could work together to come up with alternatives to some of his gourmet dishes that he prepares - something healthy - and you have the added benefit of sharing time together in the kitchen.

I hope this did not sound offensive - I know what you are going through because I have been there - you have a lot of people here to support you. :wink:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm an emotional eater, especially when I'm anxious. Whenever I'm worried or anxious I get this hollow feeling in my stomach. I'm just starting to recognize that it doesn't mean I'm hungry. Unfortunately, knowing isn't always enough. I still want the comfort of food. I also find that I have a hard time recognizing "full" when I'm upset. To top it off, no matter what the event, social or work, food is always an element. I fight it daily. Right now, I try reaching for water or, if I need some kind of comfort, a diet soda. Other than that, I'm trying to manage my anxiety through exercise. You increase seratonin levels when you exercise and I'm finding that I'm worrying less and have a more positive attitude since I've been exercising more regularly.
  • Sarie
    Sarie Posts: 17
    Options
    I am not offended at all This is great hearing all of you agree with me. Also, I have been on so many diets and failed that I am over myself and feel like I almost don't care anymore. But let's face it, I do. I am going to try to stick to the plan - and drink the blasted water.

Thanx bingey friends. :tongue:
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    I don't know if this is your temptation time, but I learned a simple trick that actually works for me. Right after dinner, I brush my teeth. It's like my brain thinks it's bedtime and the kitchen is closed.

I do this too, it really works beacuse I don't want to spoil the nice minty-fresh feeling!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    For me, I notice that when I journalize my daily food intake, it makes me full. I am a snacker but once I started to right down what I eat and calculating my calories I haven't snacked as much as I use to. My thinking is, if I eat healthier...lower calorie foods, then I can eat more...rather than eating something that is so high in calorie, I am not satisfied and I want some more. That's how it works for me...does that make sense?:smile:

I also have found that writing down everything you've eaten throughout the day using this site or another method, but right after dinner, and not leaving ANYTHING out, somehow helps when you're sitting in your favorite chair watching TV and you start twitching with that urge to go into the kitchen and scour the cupboards.

I guess it's a way of mentally saying "I'm done eating for today". Especially if you're reached your calorie goal. It's working pretty well for me. That and getting support from others with the same issues.