Reflective Running Gear

Options
I just started running some this summer.
As the seasons change, it occurs to me it will be dark when I have a chance to run this fall.
I dont want to get run over.

What should I wear to avoid being hit by a car?
Thanks

Replies

• annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a reflective vest (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NTN134/). I look like a dork, but at least people can see me!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have bought ion the past(if you look on ebay) a roll of iorn on tape that basically iorns to ANYTHING! shoes,jumpers,coat,bag ect! and it's cheep! :blushing:
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    a good headlamp band doesnt hurt either. that has saved my butt plenty out there at 330 in the morning!!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I also have a reflective vest. You might want to add a flashing light you can clip to the back of your pants or the vest (like the kind you see on bikes). They make you very, very visible. They are fairly inexpensive. Set it to strobe and you will be seen! Be safe out there!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The reflective vests aren't very attractive, but they do work. Many running pieces do also have reflective pieces, but you have to check to see if they are front and back, and if a woman, whether your hair will obscure any of them. (Wash these pieces inside out to preserve the reflective patches.)

You can also buy a battery-operated blinking light to attach to your clothes. They sell these in sporting goods stores and sometimes in pet stores (to attach to a dog harness or collar, but they work on humans too!).

There's also a brand that makes totally reflective garments. The entire garment lights up when hit by headlights. Can't believe I have forgotten the brand name, but maybe someone else will recall it. (Edit: here it is: http://illuminite.com/)

I find that in the early morning, drivers drift towards you when they see you; in the evening, the just aren't paying attention during their commute home.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    If it is dark then a headlamp for sure because you also need to worry about injury from potholes, branches, etc.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If it is dark then a headlamp for sure because you also need to worry about injury from potholes, branches, etc.

I also use a headlamp for dark morning runs. I have purchased reflective gear by Mountain Hardware but their clothing is very expensive. The best thing I got recently was a reflective cycling jacket from the local cycling shop. It has great pockets, bright and not as irritating as a vest. It is also a great warmth layer to protect you from wind, rain or snow.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies