Is 5 pounds too much for my first week?

BroiledNotFried
BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Well, this site is a success! I've lost 5 pounds in my first week. I started the day after Christmas. I just didn't feel like eating much when I started out this week, and had to force feed to get 1,000 calories. I guess I was just full of all those Christmas cookies, cakes, parties, etc. I am 5 foot 5 inches, and went from 150 to 145!

Anyway, I'm woried that I'm losing too much too fast. I'm eating all "good foods" (many on the 150 super list), running with the kids who are home this week, and am just not eating the junk.

So, I'll keep with it. But, I realize that the weight may slow down. What have you all experienced?

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    It's not unusual for your first week to lose this much or more. A lot of it is water weight due to change of eating habits. You might even have something similar in the second week.

Don't expect this to be the norm, though. 1-2 pounds is normal thereafter.

I lost 7 in my first week, 4 in the week after, then 1-2 pounds more or less after that.
  • 5 lbs your first week can be pretty normal. Just stay on track and don't let the 1-2 lbs weeks frustrate you cause those will become the norm for you, and a greater chance of keeping it off. I only just started on Monday and lost 3 lbs already.
  • It is normal to lose a lot when you start a new diet. Some of it is water weight. It should level off 1 to 2 pounds is a pretty normal loss per week when you body adjust to the new way of eating.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    It is normal, but 1000 calories is not normal. But I'm sure you already knew that :)
  • Anyway, I'm woried that I'm losing too much too fast. I'm eating all "good foods" (many on the 150 super list),

UMMM whats this super list???????????
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,130 Member
    Anyway, I'm woried that I'm losing too much too fast. I'm eating all "good foods" (many on the 150 super list),

UMMM whats this super list???????????

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74139--31-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    5lbs isn't unheard of for your first week. I'm not sure what changes you have all made other than eating habits but i know when I started drinking more water I lost a few pounds just in extra water weight since my body wasn't hanging onto my water reserves as much.

With that said I'm not sure how many calories your eating. You mentioned in your post you had to force feed yourself to get 1,000 calories. If you continue to only eat that many calories I can almost guarantee that your body is going to shut down and go into starvation mode. Not only will you lose weight but you'll start feeling weak, and unwell too. There are healthy foods that you can eat that have a higher calorie value if you've been filling up on low calorie things.

You should eat what MFP tells you to and at least 2/3rds of your excercize calories for consistent week after week weightloss. Although thats just my 2 cents! Good luck!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your comments.

My first two days, that was where I was soooo full from Christmas Eve and Christmas food, that I just wasn't hungry. I had tons of sweets, cakes, homemade chocolate, Italian food, ... oh my God! What I had eaten, I really couldn't eat much after that.

For the past several days, I'm hitting 1200 a day. For breakfast, I have either 1 serving old fashiioned oatmeal with 1 teaspoon of almond or peanut butter....or I have a "better than eggs" omelet with onions, zuchini/summer sqush/sprinkle of feta cheese and a piece of whole wheat toast with almond butter. For lunch, I have tried to stick with either a bowl of "clear based" soup or chili and a salad (but I measure out 1 teaspoon of olive oil). This works, even if I am at a restaurant. For dinner, I've been having either grilled chicken (1 cup) or grilled fish, a starch (whole potato with salsa topping....or brown rice), and a veggie (salad, cooked peppers, etc.). Then, in the evening I drink herb tea with Stevia. During the day, I may have a snack with an orange or string cheese.
This discussion has been closed.