lower fat versions of your favourite takeaway dishes

Options
come on spill the beans! im missing takeout so much i was hoping you lo would share your lower fat versions with me? thanks :)
i currently make my own vegetable madras, but i need more things to make as im getting bored!!!

Replies

• okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hiya....i make pitta pizza's or warby square wrap pizzas..just spread some tomato puree on the breads, add some sliced onions, mushrooms, maybe some ham and sweetcorn with a sprinkle of grated cheese :smile: they're so nice..
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hiya....i make pitta pizza's or warby square wrap pizzas..just spread some tomato puree on the breads, add some sliced onions, mushrooms, maybe some ham and sweetcorn with a sprinkle of grated cheese :smile: they're so nice..
    mmmmmmmm that does sound yummy and pizza id one of my favourite takeouts! think i will go that a go at some point this week ;)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    How about a Thai green curry and rice? Sub in tofu or veggies if you want a vegetarian version

Thai Green Curry
    serves 6 to 8 (freezes well)
    1 pound zucchini
    1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast or thighs
    Vegetable oil
    2 to 4 ounces Thai green curry paste
    2 cans good quality coconut milk
    Fish sauce, to taste
    Sugar, to taste,
    Soy sauce, to taste

Chop the zucchini into 1/2-inch-wide half moons (cut these in half if the zucchini is very large) and set them aside. Cut the chicken into even, bite-sized chunks about 1-inch long and set aside. Run warm water over the package of cuttlefish balls to soften them. Open the cans of coconut milk and set them to the side.

Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a 4-quart (or larger) Dutch oven or heavy pot set over medium-high heat, and when the oil is hot, add the curry paste. (For a fully tongue-tingling experience, use the full 4-ounce can. If you have a lower tolerance for heat, use half the can.) Fry the paste for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. This will be quite pungent, so turn on the fan!

Scoop the thickened coconut solids out of both cans of coconut milk, leaving the watery milk below. Fry this for about 2 minutes with the curry paste too, until the oil starts to separate out, forming beads on top of the curry paste. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for about 1 minute.

Add the rest of the coconut milk. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the fish balls are warm — about 10 minutes.

When the chicken is done, add the zucchini and simmer just until they're tender. Taste and adjust seasonings with fish sauce, sugar, and soy sauce until it is balanced enough for your tastes.

Serve with rice or rice noodles. This keeps well, freezes well, and does great made the night before and heated up the next day.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love pita pizzas, too! So yummy. I also like to make baked fries in the oven -- if you broil them for a couple minutes at the end of the cooking time, they get really crispy. I also like veggie burgers -- once you add cheese and all the toppings, they taste pretty good.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Also, try a different Indian curry. www.manjulaskitchen.com has loads. Palak paneer (spinach and hard cheese) is one of my all time favourites.
  • raverhayley
    Options
    thanks guys these are all delcious ideas ;)
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Check out the hairy bikers, I think it was the latest series the hairy dieterss they made a korma and sweet and sour with about 300-400 calories

Found the recipes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chilli_salad_bowls_22404 tasty alternative to tacos 397 calories

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken_52908 288 calories per portion without rice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_korma_16352 294 calories without rice
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I buy microwave chips and breaded fish for my fish and chip takeaway night. It's not exactly the same obviously but its awesome!!
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    excellent thread
  • raverhayley
    Options
    veg madras recipe. Spices needed: 3 whole cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground corriander, 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon nutmeg. 4 garlic cloves, 2 large green chillis, 1 400g tin of chopped tomatos,2 med onions,2 medium carrotts,2 green peppers 1 red pepper half an aubegine & half a butternut squash. heat 6 tablespoons of oil in large fryin pan and ad the 3 cloves and thin slice onions and add to pan u must cook onion til they go brown. Chop all remaining veg into cubes and roast in oven in a bit of oil on gas mark 6 for 30mins. When onions are brown add garlic green chillis n ginger to pan and mix for 30secs, now add chilli powder cumin corriander turmeric and pinch of salt and mix- now add all roasted veg to pan and mix, now add the tin of tomatos and 40mil of water and nutmeg and mix- simmer for 5mins and it should be done.
    please be aware this is 4 dinners worth as i like to make a big batch and freeze. i sometimes have a weightwatchers naan bread on the side as they are only 110 cals :)