Suggestions to make the pain go away faster...

Options
Yesterday I participated in a charity hike of 9 miles. It was a 3 peaks challenge. During the last hour of the hike I started getting cramps in my calves. By the time we got to the top of the last peak I could barely walk. I expected this.
However today the pain is enough that it's making me sick to my stomach. It doesn't hurt when I am sitting or if I am standing still, only when I pick up my legs. Unfortunately I can't just sit all day :(

I'm taking ibuprofen to reduce swelling and using a deep heat rub. We don't have a tub so no soaking for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help flush out all this extra lactic acid quickly, or am I just stuck suffering with it for a few days?
Thanks.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about foam rollers. Also, moving, for as much as you probably don't want to hear it, will help. Muscle massage is good too, though obviously not free (for most people).
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    ive also heard good things about foam rolllers. you have to move today. you must. taking a short walk will get that lactic acid moving and help you feel better. marathon runners often run a 10k the very next day to keep the acid from building up. the sooner you can go for a walk, the better you will feel. then take another later this evening. also...a ton of water. more than usual.

the hike sounds awesome. congrats on completing it!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been drinking water like a fish but not moving often. I think I will go hit the treadmill for a bit, I don't want to be outside on my own and have my legs cramp up so bad that someone has to come get me!

I need to look into these foam rollers...I use a rolling pin to warm my muscles up before a job, could I just use that, carefully?