TOO MUCH EXERCISE???

Options
Are there any downsides to exercising 6 days a week?

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It makes it tough too see every episode of the real housewives. Those Miami broads are annoying though, so no. No downside.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of exercise on what days, how much volume vs frequency etc. You can do some form of exercise every day if you like, although it is not really needed.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Define exercise.

2-3 hours of intense exercise per day? Might be a problem.
    30 minutes a day on the elliptilol, not so much.
  • daddysgrl
    daddysgrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If the majority of my day is spent sitting is it too much to half walk half sprint 3,5 miles up and down steep hills? Will my body get too used to it?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's good to challenge yourself. Do a little more each time.
  • pjnate
    Options
    As long as you are not causing yourself to go into too big of a calorie deficit each day. :smile:
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If the majority of my day is spent sitting is it too much to half walk half sprint 3,5 miles up and down steep hills? Will my body get too used to it?

I would definitely mix it up a bit...I often do 6 days of exercise a week and there is nothing wrong with that if it feels OK for your body and you eat enough :)
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You're regimen is prob not too much but if you want to see progress try different things - maybe weight lifting, Zumba, cycling, high-intensity cardio. Eventually, the walk/run will be very easy and your body will plateau.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Another possible downside is that if you're doing the same thing each week, your body will most likely get used to it and you might not see any results. At least that's what happens to me. I have to change it up every couple of months. Other than that, it's all good!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If you're going full tilt sprinting hill 6 days a week it sounds like an injury waiting to happen (a lot depends on how long you've been running for).

Generally speaking you would normally vary both the intensity and duration of your running workouts during the week. It's actually the longer, slower runs that build endurance. It would also probably be wise to run on alternating days and cross train in between)
  • jeanellsunshine
    Options
    I think it is fine, but you have to make sure to get enough sleep at night in order to rest your body. You should also mix up your workouts to avoid pushing your body too far and keeping things interesting.

For instance, I work out 6 days a week, but I only do weightlifting 4 days a week to give my muscles and to try other exercises.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

you should not sprint on consecutive days. any form of HIIT, but particularly sprinting, taxes your body. There are lots of resources out there that recommend HIIT only 3x per week. This doesn't mean you can't exercise on the other days...but you shouldn't do HIIT or any form of sprint interval training on consecutive days.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me this: After a while your body becomes a custom to the same routine and to switch it up if you want to continuously make significant progress and improve certain aspects of your work out/body, otherwise to maintain- your fine with the same ol/ same ol.

HOWEVER more that 1 hour 3-4 times a week is more that sufficient. anything beyond that is going to burn you out or an injury waiting to happen.

It was some advice he gave me.Im just passing it on:smokin:
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I work out 6-7 days a week, I try to switch it up with doing different things. My trainer has told me I need to rest more, but that doesn't ever seem to happen.

But I have TONS of energy, very rarely tired,and I get to eat. As long as I stay healthy and safe, I think I'm good
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It depends on alot of things. Genetics, nutrition, other daily activities, the frequency and intensity of your workouts, how much sleep you get, stress levels, all play a role in determining how much working out your body should be getting. Often there's a very thin line between someone working out to develope their peak performance and someone working out and heading into overtraining. Some key indicators if you're working out too much are

1) An increase in resting heart rate
    2) Easily irritated
    3)Tired and not able to perform other daily functions
    4)Disrupted sleep patterns
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    After 34 years of running & getting injured & sick & having other setbacks I have finally found my niche. However, it is obsessive because I have particular goals. Since summer started this year I've been averaging about 12 workouts a week of about an hour each. I run & bike ride. I have not enough come close to adapting (plateau with no more improvement or weight loss). My primary goal is to set myself up to keep going throughout the gloomy winter. I've done it before.

My injuries are gone because of the barefoot/minimalist trend. I run in VIbram Five FIngers and with high arched rigid feet I am in paradise. I've had 3 knee surgeries & synvic injections (3 yrs+ ago) and the only thing that limits me now is time & energy. I run out of time before I run out of energy.

I run in the morning & ride in the early evening. I take a day off once a month. Usually on Saturday I do a long run only. Sunday a long ride only. This works for me now.

It's all an experience of ONE.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    It depends. Everyone is different. I was doing a Jillian DVD a day for 5-6 days a week and feeling burnt out and overtrained even though they are less than an hr. So, I've cut it back to 4-5 days a week. Here are some articles about overtraining symptoms

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overtraining/#axzz26pJ0UOHs
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/350412-signs-symptoms-of-overtraining/
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    If you know how to listen to your body, you should be fine but you'll have (likely) better results by varying your workouts and adding in some strength training.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

I would definitely mix it up a bit...I often do 6 days of exercise a week and there is nothing wrong with that if it feels OK for your body and you eat enough :)

This.

6 days a week is awesome as long as you aren't over doing it. Don't exercise more than you can make up with in food calories - obviously you don't want to starve your muscles. It's great to do different muscle groups every day as well, so your body has a chance to rest the other muscle groups when they're not in use. :)
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me this: After a while your body becomes a custom to the same routine and to switch it up if you want to continuously make significant progress and improve certain aspects of your work out/body, otherwise to maintain- your fine with the same ol/ same ol.

HOWEVER more that 1 hour 3-4 times a week is more that sufficient. anything beyond that is going to burn you out or an injury waiting to happen.

It was some advice he gave me.Im just passing it on:smokin:

Cant train for a marathon (or even half marathon) keeping workouts to an hour. It all depends on individual goals. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you to. I do SOMETHING every day, run 4 days a week and do double runs on 2 of those days. Except for my short lunch time workouts, ALL my other runs are over an hour. 2-3 hours is not uncommon for a long run. Im certainly not burned out.