Is the speed of muscle gain hereditary?

Options
May seem like a really ridiculous / far fetched question but I'm genuinely curious.

Body wise, I'm curvaceous, I have wide hips, a full bust and small waist. My mother has a typically more boyish body, though my auntie shares similar shape with me (as did my Grandmother in her heyday). Regardless of this, me, my mum, my auntie and most of my family have athletic legs, larger calves that pack on muscle quite quickly.

My mum's always said she gains muscle tone at a fast pace, and I'm finding after a few weeks of working out I'm starting to get definition myself. Has it got anything to do with genes how fast you pack on muscle? Or have I just been working harder at the gym than I initially thought?

Sorry in advance if this is a really stupid thing to ask!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, it has a lot to to with genetics although most people would fall somewhere around the same (per gender). It certainly also has a lot to do with how you work out, eat, and sleep.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    what time frame are you packing this muscle on in?
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been eating clean and working out for about two weeks now.

I do: Muay Thai on Mondays and Wednesdays, the gym 3-4 times a week (aiming for a 400-500 cal burn) and dotted sessions of yoga between.

I really don't know how long it takes to gain muscle realistically, that's why I asked. I always assumed you'd start noticing a difference after about two months? But I can really see it in my legs, shoulders and chest. Just seems very odd!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    you are much more likely seeing your muscles swell with water to repair them. It takes a long time to gain muscle no matter how genetically gifted you are.
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ah haa! That explains it. Thanks!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah you aren't going to be gaining much muscle mass on a deficit, you are seeing water retention and possible fat loss which makes it look like your muscles are bigger.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said. Yes, the ability to build muscle is largely impacted by genetics, but even the most "gifted" person isn't going to pack on muscle in a matter of weeks. It's fluid retention to repair the inflamed muscles.

Ever sprain an ankle and have it swell up? Same idea - you aren't building muscle, you're damaging it, so the body floods it with fluid. That additional fluid is why it looks bigger, and why the scale may read a higher number.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It is more likely muscles swelling and newbie gaine than real lean mass gain.

Eating at a surplus, considering that I have naturally higher testosterone than most women, I hope to gain 3-5 pounds of muscles in 3 months at my next bulk.