Options

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    its like doing regular yoga in hell they heat the room up

^this...

I tried it once... I passed out

I do my yoga at home now... with the a/c cranked... and fans blowing... I overheat way too easily

op: I have no clue about calories... just make sure you stay hydrated!!
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Bikram Yoga classes a couple of weeks ago (and I'm hooked!). I don't have a HRM, but the friend I go with wears hers and can burn about 735-750 or more. I found the calculator below and that's what I have used. I'm 5'1" and 107. Hope this helps.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm

I am her friend (she is awesome BTW) and I wear a HRM to a traditional Bikram class (90 mins, 26 postures, 105 degrees) and as KTB has stated, my burn rate is in the low to mid 700s.

I am 5'7", 46 years old, 139 pounds

Bikram is an amazing strength workout and outstanding calorie burn. I like to keep it a part of my regular routine.

When in doubt, keep your eyes open, sweat it out on your mat, and lock your knees, lock your knees, lock your knees.

Namaste
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I just started hot yoga and my bodybugg tells me I burn 350 - 400 calories in a hour.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What is "hot yoga"? I know what just plain yoga is -- I LOVE YOGA but I have never heard of hot yoga.

Hot yoga (I forgot what the technical term is) is yoga in an extremely hot room (temperature wise).

Bikram
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hot Yoga....as opposed to jumping into an ice tub...SMH...makes no sense, these fads...move the body and you burn.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You'll have to get an HRM.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the body trying to cool itself because of the extra heat, doesn't actually mean you're burning more calories. A HRM in yoga will not give an accurate number either.

FYI - You're body will burn more calories trying to warm itself up than to cool itself down.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    What is "hot yoga"? I know what just plain yoga is -- I LOVE YOGA but I have never heard of hot yoga.

Hot yoga (I forgot what the technical term is) is yoga in an extremely hot room (temperature wise).

Bikram

Bikram and Hot Yoga are not the same thing.

Bikram is a specific Hatha practice that incorporates heat and humidity into the room, and hot yoga can be a variety of different styles (hatha or vinyasa, or both) and does not involve humidity, and doesn't need to be at an official Bikram studio.
  • kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've warn my HRM a few times to class and burn around 520 on average for a 60 min class and up to 780 for a 90 min class. I'm 5'6" and 129 lbs.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga (and yes, I've done it) burns the same calories as running. Your heart rate is elevated due to the heat. I've done a lot of research on this topic. :) Right now I'm not doing hot yoga (just Vinyasa and Hatha) but the calorie burn is totally different in hot yoga. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Hot Yoga....as opposed to jumping into an ice tub...SMH...makes no sense, these fads...move the body and you burn.

It's not a fad. It has been done for thousands of years (just like Tai Chi). Anchient martial arts are no fad...
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Why hate on the type of exercise someone likes to do? You're working out in yoga class, not sitting around like you are in an ice tub. Try a fast paced vinyasa class, it's not just stretching and meditation. If somebody finds a type of exercise that they enjoy and that works for them, what does it matter to you?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Note--Hot yoga and Bikram yoga are NOT the same thing. Hot yoga can be a hatha or vinyasa based practice, just depending on the instructor, it's basically just a yoga class with the room heated to 90-95 degrees, where as Bikram is where the room is not only heated, but the humidity is turned up as well and you do a series of 26 hatha poses (twice each). I've never tried Bikram only because there aren't that many Bikram studios around and they're kind of expensive, but I do hot yoga at least twice a week at this really awesome donation based studio, sometimes 3 times a week, and I LOVE it! Our instructors change things up a lot; this past weekend we did a more fast paced vinyasa practice and I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life!

This is true. There are some very specific guidelines that need to be followed to qualify as Bikram yoga. Most studios can not adhere, so they offer "hot" yoga as an alternative. I estimate around 300 calories for my 75 minute class (I am 5' 0" and 110 lbs).
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Sweating is the body trying to cool itself because of the extra heat, doesn't actually mean you're burning more calories. A HRM in yoga will not give an accurate number either.

FYI - You're body will burn more calories trying to warm itself up than to cool itself down.

This. Hot yoga is great for flexibility and loosening up the muscles and I have great respect for it, but burns no more calories than doing the same yoga in normal temperatures.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Why hate on the type of exercise someone likes to do? You're working out in yoga class, not sitting around like you are in an ice tub. Try a fast paced vinyasa class, it's not just stretching and meditation. If somebody finds a type of exercise that they enjoy and that works for them, what does it matter to you?

I agree. And for anyone that has taken a 90 minute Power Yoga class (hot or in a regular studio) it is no joke. It's my favorite type of full body strength training and cardio mixed into one. Not to sound sexist but if it is a co-ed yoga class you should see the guys in there. They are in now way wasting their 60-90 minutes.
  • Onesnap
    Options

This. Hot yoga is great for flexibility and loosening up the muscles and I have great respect for it, but burns no more calories than doing the same yoga in normal temperatures.

That's impossible. With the elevated heart rate in a 104F class I've always heard it is the same calorie burn as running. How can your heart rate be elevated (versus the same class in a room with air conditioning) and have it not be a higher calorie burn?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here's some good information about why hot yoga burns more calories than yoga in a normal temp room:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/cardio/bikram-vs-regular-yoga-the-differences-in-calories-burned.html
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Here's some good information about why hot yoga burns more calories than yoga in a normal temp room:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/cardio/bikram-vs-regular-yoga-the-differences-in-calories-burned.html

1) read the two comments on the article you posted.
    2) Here is another random article from google that says that it doesn't burn more calories. At least this one lists the author. We can find conflicting google articles all day long. http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/does-yoga-burn-calories.aspx
    3)Look up if running in heat will burn more calories than running in cold
    4)I will state again that yoga is a wonderful activity and I have great respect for it. I just know that hot yoga is not beneficial to an increased calorie burn.
  • Onesnap
    Options

1) read the two comments on the article you posted.
    2) Here is another random article from google that says that it doesn't burn more calories. At least this one lists the author. We can find conflicting google articles all day long. http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/does-yoga-burn-calories.aspx
    3)Look up if running in heat will burn more calories than running in cold
    4)I will state again that yoga is a wonderful activity and I have great respect for it. I just know that hot yoga is not beneficial to an increased calorie burn.

I agree. However, after taking years of both hot yoga and regular the toll that the hot style takes on your body I can't imagine it does not burn more calories (it is a quite demanding class). I've never worn my HRM in yoga (I don't intend on doing so) but I guess that's the only valid way to tell.