Injured Knee

Options
2»

Replies

• bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have TERRIBLE knees! If you did not go to the running store for an analysis of your gate, I suggest that. It helped me more than I thought it would.

Warm up. While it hurts, try a heating pad for at least 10 minutes before you jog. Then stretch and ice when complete. Going forward. ALWAYS. I like a paper dixie cup filled with ice and frozen. Then I massage the area with the exposed ice. Really helps. I also like to keep the inserts to a camel back in the freezer so I have an "ice packet' always ready to go.

When you are not working out, wear good shoes. Support through the rest of your day is also important.

The leg lifts and hamstrings strengthening suggestion is valid and will help. As I understand it, a lot of injuries to the knee are due to lack of support strength.
  • ebola81
    Options
    I will head towards google for 'foam rolling' then.

On a side note, what's less impact, treadmill or pavement running? And is generally running on a treadmill and better or worse for me?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I agree to the notion of Runner's Knee. As you've only just begun, this is your body telling you that you've done too much too soon. Distance running is about adaptation and adaptation takes time. When we don't meet that adaption in a safe manner we end up with Pain. Pain is a our body's way of telling us that something isn't right. We need to listen to our bodies.

Suggest the following;

1. Rest for a few days.
    2. Ice 4 x per day at 10-15 minutes per. Make sure you use a buffer surface (tea towel etc) and don't apply ice directly to the skin. The idea is to chill the knee not freeze it.
    3. Begin back at half the distance you were running at and only increase your mileage by 10 % per week and only when you can comfortably run without pain.
    4. Always stretch after a workout.
    5. Are your shoes the correct shoes? Why did you choose them? Were you professionally fitted or just walk into a store and buy them because of price\color\style\fit? A professional fitting tells you which type of shoe you should be wearing based upon your running style (i.e. do you pronate or suppinate? Are you a heel striker or do you land on your midsole or forefoot?) A professional will look at your existing shoes, examine wear patterns and also look at the way you walk or jog. Typically this is not the 16 year old kid from ***Mart or similar.

If the problem persists, see a physio therapist or doctor and have a proper gait assesment done.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I will head towards google for 'foam rolling' then.

On a side note, what's less impact, treadmill or pavement running? And is generally running on a treadmill and better or worse for me?

Running on a Treadmill will have a softer impact.