What inspires you to eat healthy and ignore the haters?

Options

Replies

• MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I get those, "Look at you - you can eat whatever you want" statements I tell them that A) I don't look the way I do because I eat crap and 2) I AM eating whatever I want! THIS is what I want! :)

Basically I just smile and tell them I'm a Born Again Hippie and that shuts them up.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I surround myself with people who aren't going to make stupid comments about my healthy choices. And that's really it.

I've been on a journey for several years now to make better choices for myself and I'm happy to explain and educate when people ask genuine questions. I have asked my friends and family to be supportive and I point out when they make it harder for me.

I don't have time for anyone who is routinely unsupportive.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not going to miss out on going out with family and friends because of my diet. I had an eating disorder for many years and I've already missed out on enough without doing that now when leading healthy life style. Normally I have pretty good self control when I go out. You can ask for things to be prepared in a certain way (less oil, no butter, less seasoning) a lot of people have dietary restrictions these days and most restaurants cater to that. And sometimes I just forget about the diet for the night and I eat crappy foods or I'll go for a nice long run beforehand to earn the right to do that. I mean it's not like it's something I do all the time but I figure NEVER going out to eat and never being unhealthy is unrealistic. I think it's important to have cheat days once in a while where you allow yourself to go out to dinner and order what you want. Life is all about balance.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I learned early on in life to not be too concerned about what others think. I just do what I want if it is the right thing to do.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* getting smaller.

:love: :love: :flowerforyou:

I'm usually really nice and tell them to F.O.A.D.
    Actually I don't have any haters.....don't keep that B.S. in my life.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    "no thanks"...no explanation necessary....that, and buying smaller pants
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I hate that! When I was 252 pounds NO ONE told me that I was unhealthy and needed to lose weight. They weren't concerned then. But now that I've lost the weight, and watch what I eat, I am told to "live a little" It drives me NUTS! The worst time was when I just finished a jog and was eating a salad with some trail mix(and enjoying it!) and someone commented "You need to eat a cheeseburger or something" I just tell people "I work hard to be where I am today, and that's all that matters!"
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    "i have one day every few weeks that i eat whatever i want. its not today though."
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! I'm also interested in hearing what you would say to someone who questions your eatting habits.

I have lost a fair amount of weight so far, and I'm still classed as overweight. I'm only 5' 3" and I think a goal of 135lbs is a good starting point for me. I try to not discuss my weight loss and fitness goals with anyone as to me this is a personal journey... Yet people seem to try to make it their business. They see the changes in my body, and I'm really tired of hearing "You don't want to lose anymore weight! You'll be too sick-looking" and "one day won't hurt ya... you can eat that". If I explain that I want to get in a healthy range for my body, it turns into a debate. I'm doing this for me, and no one else. Besides ignoring people and telling them to fluck off (which you can't do with everyone, ie: parents/grandparents, etc), what creative ways have everyone else found?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    it's become routine for me at this point so what people have to say doesn't matter. it's simply easiest to stick to routine.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    And that's exactly why I do it as well. I want to break the chain in my family and be the example my kids need to live a happy, healthy lifestyle. Secondly, all my friends support me. If they didn't, they certainly weren't my friends.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love what I see when I look in the mirror. I ignore them, family included b/c 1) they are just jealous and 2) I have no desire to look like they do.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have someone pick on me for eating healthier (probably because I don't have friends). I play a game in my head when I'm out eating - seeing what others are eating, then calculating the caloric and sodium content.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, I get the most pleasure out of getting results while eating whatever foods I want. That really drives people crazy.

If I stay within my calorie limit, reasonably close to my individual macro goals, and follow my workout routine, it doesn't matter if I occasionally include pizza, cheeseburgers, and birthday cake in my diet.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ha ha, these responses are great :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always say that if you have one hater, try to get up to three. If you have three, try to get 5. (Yes, I stole that from Katt Williams.) It's a haters job to hate, it's your job to live your life how you choose. Let those haters do their job, and you do yours. If you don't have any haters, then you must not be doing something right.
  • gypsybree
    Options
    Eat to live, not live to eat.

If you wish to grow thinner, diminish your dinner.
    Henry Sambrooke Leigh

We never repent of having eaten too little.
    Thomas Jefferson

Some people have a foolish way of not minding, or pretending not to mind, what they eat. For my part, I mind my belly very studiously, and very carefully; for I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly will hardly mind anything else.
    Samuel Johnson
    (this is so long people will just be like uhhh and move along)

http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/weight_loss_quotes.html
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I am not saying you have an ED at all -- I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?

ETA: I'd ask the people who want to go out to eat to do some kind of exercise next time they want to hang out and when they bulk, ask them what they have against being healthy.
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Sometimes no comment says more than responding.

If you feel inclined to respond, you can simple say "You know, your comment reminds me of a recent post from myfitness pal. Have you heard of that website? It's a great tool that has helped me ______."

You can change the topic towards overall health and wellness and you don't even have the make the response personal.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if I'm fortunate or not, but there is not a single restaurant in my community and one can only fly in/out so there is no driving to another community. So that gets rid of the "eating out" dilemma. lol However, there is pressure to eat birthday cakes and bannock (flour based fried bread) at office and family events. I just avoid them or go to events after I have already eaten.

The only test for me is the lack of food choices here and how I will handle myself on vacations. I'm pretty set in the way I eat now and am loving the results, so while I won't count calories on vacation I will still avoid the foods that cause me health problems. And I don't care what other people think at all; I won't jeopardize my health for anything.