Why do you keep at it? day after day...month after month?

Options
I was pondering this yesterday.. Granted I have made some great progress..but once the progress slows...the results are lacking.. why do I keep going?and going....and going??!! :noway: :noway:

Is it to look better? Partly..for the main reason I like cute clothing:bigsmile: ..but that really isn't it for me..Is it to impress my peers?...No..absolutely not! People that know me like me no matter what I am..or what I do and if I am being honest..at this point in my life..I could care less what anyone thinks of me:laugh: Is it to be healthier? A small bit...but I felt I was very healthy before I started this weight loss journey.. having struggled with my weight since about the time I could walk and talk...dieting and fitness has always been apparent in my life...just some things worked..and other things failed miserably...

So...what IS the reason that drives me?? So..I can tell myself that I tried as HARD as I could..to achieve the goal that I have wanted since I can remember. It's a stubborn nature I have....I want it and I'm gonna get it :tongue:

Unfortunately..what our goal in our brain is...and what reality is...are generally two different things..but I refuse to give up trying for it!!!!!!! Will I ever have a six pack?.. more than likely...no. Will I ever be a size 4?...I can bank on that being a no as well... but someone let me brain in on that info...:sad:

Another small reason is to hold my own in a bar fight:drinker: :drinker: ..and one can not forget..this is on everyone's list... to be prepared for the zombie acropolis..you know that it's gonna happen...:devil: :devil:

So..what is your main reason to keep at it...even when results are not there?

Replies

• TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Masochism... :(

That and being prepared for this huge zombie temple that's apparently going to be built in the future. :)
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I keep at it because the results are always there. I set goals that are focused on fitness, inches lost, energy level, fit of my clothes. At least one of those things improves every week, even when the scale doesn't move. That let's me know that my body is changing.
    I absolutely hate to see the I'm so discouraged I'm not losing weight post..."my clothes fit better and I have more energy but the scale isn't moving HELP!" People discount all the other ways that changing your eating and exercising can benefit you. If you walked/ran longer, lifted more weight, zipped up those pants that didn't zip before, only hit snooze once (when you normally hit it 3x), didn't need that second cup of coffee...THESE ARE RESULTS!!! Noting these more subtle results can go a long way to increasing and sustaining your motivation.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My only reason is for results. If results are not there, I work at figuring out why and adjust accordingly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been at it 18 months or so. At this point it truly is the cliche "lifestyle change". I've changed the way I thought about food, nutrition in general and exercise. Hopefully it is a permanent change.

The other part of it is that I too am stubborn (to a fault). I'll see this through even if it kills me.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I decided that this is the way it's gonna be now. So, I'm just living my life. There is no end to "this." There will me maintenance, but that won't change my food choices or workouts much.

From the beginning, I just told myself to "start as you mean to go on." So I have.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do it for how I FEEL, both physically and emotionally. I weigh less and am more active so I have more energy to do the things that I need to do. And when you're faced with a genetic disorder that is pretty much guaranteed to cause some issues down the road, you do what you can to be as healthy as possible to reduce the risks and push it all back as long as possible.

I don't intend to stop once I've reached my goals as I will then need to maintain my new lifestyle...for the rest of my life.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I decided that this is the way it's gonna be now. So, I'm just living my life. There is no end to "this." There will me maintenance, but that won't change my food choices or workouts much.

From the beginning, I just told myself to "start as you mean to go on." So I have.

This is pretty much how I've approached it this time too. No more gung ho all or nothing dieting and exercising - because let's face it, I tried that several times doing several different approachs and it never worked. So now it's just about eating right 80-90% of the time, being active on a regular basis and getting over the rest. I may not be losing quickly but the weight is still coming off and I'm WAY more fit than I've ever been so I'm pretty thrilled with how it's going! There is no day to day or month to month anymore, this is my life and how I live it.
  • richafoster
    Options
    That's hitting the nail on the head, it's about the lifestyle change. It's not doing the "things" as a means to an end, but altering my lifestyle just a bit to make life more enjoyable and meaningful. Losing weight and inches and extending productive lifespan is a good by-product, but I want to be able to enjoy the things of today.

I remember not being able to participate in a horseback ride because I was too heavy. Now if I want to ride a friggin horse, I can!
  • Abaiz
    Abaiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think I have an addictive personality. So basically, I'm addicted to fitness. There are worse things to be addicted to.