But Jillian says....

Options
Jillian Michaels....
"Fitness Tip:Don’t exercise on an empty stomach! When you do this you will have considerably less energy for your workout and you run the risk of cannibalizing your own muscle tissue. Your body needs a certain amount of sugar for fuel when training. When you don’t have available blood sugar or stored sugar in your muscles your body can convert your own muscle tissue into energy. Plus, the harder you train the more calories and fat you will burn and if you haven’t eaten you probably won’t have a very intense workout. So get yourself a little snack about an hour before you workout. Something with a little bit of carbs and protein. Like a whey shake or an apple with almond butter."

I pulled this from her FaceBook page..,.thoughts?

Replies

• Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have seen too many examples of people who do exercise on an empty stomach and had great results. Bill Phillips of Body For Life is a big proponent of AM Cardio on empty stomach. And this is based on HIIT cardio.

I like to work out first thing in the morning which doesnt allow for any kind of meal. I dont think I have lost any strengh as I lift weights at lunch. I will admit that my afternoon cardio is much better in regards to energy level.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just read that too! But have seen the exact opposite from others.

Like Will210 said - I also workout first thing in the morning and I'm already up at 5:15, so getting up even earlier just to have time to eat and partially digest a snack before my workout doesn't fly. :tongue: I've been on this schedule for over a year and am getting results, so it's working for me!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Oh I workout on coffee and sugar free creamer which amounts too 75 calories, 10 carbs, and 5 fats. That's it. I don't eat anything before I workout or I'd get sick. I eat between after workout and 8 hours later, sorta like IF 8/16.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - getting up @ 5:15 to exercise doesn't leave any time to eat an hour before hand. That being said, I do tend to have slightly better workouts when I've had time to get up and eat and then exercise. In the long run though, that's not something I can do daily so I choose to do it on an empty stomach and a heck of a lot more often.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think our bodies adapt to whatever we teach them to do. I work out very intensely every AM, as soon as I wake up. I do my long runs on no food and one two Gel's for 20 mile runs. There was a study of bike rider's and their need for fueling, those that did it constantly, those that didn't performed the same because their bodies responded like they were used to working without the extra carbs.

Jillian is not a Dr, I'm not certain her education level. She is a trainer who has made herself famous. She is writing books and making lot of money. She may be right some of the time, but instead of taking her word - or anyone's word for that matter as truth needs to be thought about.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If you are going to train fasted then yes it is a good idea to have a little something. Could be as small as 5g bcaa and 5g maltodextrin mixed in water. Or the bcaa in a shot of juice. Whatever. Even Martin from leangains suggests such. I think he just mentions bcaa in water.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've found that without some protein and carbs before a long run I'm dead after an hour and a half or so. Getting some nutrition in before (english muffin with PB for me) helps me maintain for longer. I'm going to be lookinginto some gels, though, to see if those help for the long runs, too
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost all the time on an empty stomach. I think since she reaches millions of people she has to play it safe and has to say what the usual recommendations are.

But i get great results from working out fasted. I actually had to switch from morning workouts to pm due to my new work schedule.

I feel so sluggish now because i have food in my belly.

I even have waited a few hours...and still feel it.

Working out fasted was great for me. I also think it helped when I used to be a runner. I got used to running fasted. I know some people have to eat a little something before running. Well, all that would do for me, even if it was something light was cause me to have stomach distress.

So now fasting while strength training is fine.

I am actually in maintenance now but when I started my weight loss journey I started off working out with a snack in my belly. WEight loss was SLOW. But i was still losing. So it still worked.

When i started doing fasted training(even if cals were the same daily) my weight loss went lightspeed.

I highly doubt anyone will starve working out fasted.

I think for a female my arms look pretty tight and sculpted...and I lost no muscle. In fact I have gained shoulder size..and that's working out fasted. That fasting myth is bs. But again, I think Jillian might be playing it safe..or maybe she has protein shakes and bars she wants her followers to buy too..
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i am watching some short lectures on health and fitness. and studies show that if some one works out first thing in the morning after fasting for a few hrs before intake of calories they burn more. which i can see due to the fact once u kick ur body in to gear . your burning more the rest of the day i would assume.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i did an hour of treadmill this morning on an empty stomach other then some water...burned 421 calories...in fact all my workouts this week have been on an empty stomach. i am down 5 lbs and 8 inches total body in my first week. i dont find that i feel less energized because i havent had anything to eat before working out.
  • Terree83
    Options
    I am all for working out on an empty stomach. I tend to get really nauseous if I have anything in my stomach at all when I workout, so I don't eat anything for at least 3 hours before I do any kind of exercise.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Maybe she means something small like just a piece of fruit or handful of nuts or something to digest and burn fuel from for those morning people? Just a thought, not sure on this honestly.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian's workouts, but I don't follow her nutrition advice. It's generally too low cal and too restrictive for me.

I do my workouts (Jillian's Body Revolution) first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, and have a protein shake as soon as I am finished. So far, so good.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've found that without some protein and carbs before a long run I'm dead after an hour and a half or so. Getting some nutrition in before (english muffin with PB for me) helps me maintain for longer. I'm going to be lookinginto some gels, though, to see if those help for the long runs, too

This is because your glycogen stores become exhausted. Shorter distances should be fine on glycogen only. Eating is only important for cardio over lost distances.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I exercise a few hours after dinner. My stomach hurts if I do anything right after eating. I don't see how an empty stomach would be harmful. Maybe if you're doing like heavy weight training or something.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Jillian puts together great workout routines. Beyond that, I ignore everything she says.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've been in the Army for 4 years and never EVER did we have breakfast and then worked out. I mean it is different for everyone but I don't think it makes a difference in results. I have had a piece of fruit before a workout a few times, but i diffinitly prefer working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Now when i sleep in on the weekends or I simply workout in the afternoon, then yes I will eat, but still, an empty stomach first thing in the morning is my favorite.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am all for working out on an empty stomach. I tend to get really nauseous if I have anything in my stomach at all when I workout, so I don't eat anything for at least 3 hours before I do any kind of exercise.

Yep, I'm the same...I get nauseous too.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

This is because your glycogen stores become exhausted. Shorter distances should be fine on glycogen only. Eating is only important for cardio over lost distances.

Agree....I can do weights and runs up to 5km on an empty stomach, but anything longer than that needs something small in my tummy - small banana or yogurt will keeep me going on longer runs...
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am a strong believer that there is plenty of energy stored in our body for an hour of exercise on an empty stomach.