Hey all! Questions!

Hello All.

I started using this website two weeks ago, and I have to say I love it. I have a question though. I started to exercise more and got a membership at a local gym (Fitworks), I go every morning before work for an hour and usually after work for 30 minutes. The elliptical that I use (Primarily) says that I will do around 350-400 calories. How accurate is this? I use the lower number at home since it has been a consistant number.

I weigh 216 at home and 220 on the gym scale.
I am 5'6

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    If yuo are truly giving it all you have in the workout, I'd say that number could be accurate. To be safe, and make sure you don't go over calories (assuming you eat your exercise calories back) just knock it down by 50-100 calories
  • Are you putting in your weight, height and age into the elliptical before you start your workout?
    The most accurate way to gauge your calories burned is a heart rate monitor, totally worth the investment.
    I used to go by the machine or what MFP would calculate and I noticed that it varies.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Hello All.

I started using this website two weeks ago, and I have to say I love it. I have a question though. I started to exercise more and got a membership at a local gym (Fitworks), I go every morning before work for an hour and usually after work for 30 minutes. The elliptical that I use (Primarily) says that I will do around 350-400 calories. How accurate is this? I use the lower number at home since it has been a consistant number.

I weigh 216 at home and 220 on the gym scale.
    I am 5'6

No it's not accurate. None of the calorie burns for any exercise is accurate. It's something far less. And it's something you don't have to worry about unless you get under 12% body fat.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Are you putting in your weight, height and age into the elliptical before you start your workout?
    The most accurate way to gauge your calories burned is a heart rate monitor, totally worth the investment.
    I used to go by the machine or what MFP would calculate and I noticed that it varies.

I second buying a heart rate monitor. I usually cut the calorie the machine displays in half to be on the safe side.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Purchase a HRM. You will get an acccurate measurement.
  • juber216
    juber216 Posts: 5 Member
    As an update, I did purchase a cheap HRM and it seems pretty consistent with the gym's HRM. The gym's equipment only asks me for my age, weight and resting and "Target" heart rate...