Does Splenda make you fat?

Options
I have been substituting Splenda for sugar for years. Recently I cut back and am weaning off but in the news reports are that diet drinks make people fat. I stopped diet drinks a long time ago, and currently use sugar substitute in beverages ie. coffee and tea. What are the FAQ? :drinker:

Replies

• I may be wrong but splenda makes you hold onto excess sugar. I think it has something to do with your body not really knowing what to do with real sugar after it's been using fake sugar. Again I could be wrong though.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use approximately 10 packets of splenda per day.

I drink about 20 diet soft drinks per week.

I crush!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been substituting Splenda for sugar for years. Recently I cut back and am weaning off but in the news reports are that diet drinks make people fat. I stopped diet drinks a long time ago, and currently use sugar substitute in beverages ie. coffee and tea. What are the FAQ? :drinker:

No, unless you would consume it in ridiculously high dosages. 10g of splenda has 33cals, so however much would put you in a calorie surplus
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drink diet pop in moderation, it's zero calories, you won't gain weight. I know there are a lot of special and unique snowflakes out there that think diet pop made them fat, but no it's zero calories. Now I will agree to a certain extent with all the other people that are gonna *kitten* storm this board with anti-artificial sweetner posts. The chemicals in it are probably not that good for you...but I drink it anyway. Probably going to hell for it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Stop getting health information from the televisions "news" broadcast. Most of the time, the so-called "health news" is nothing more than a press release from some company that's trying to boost sales. True story.
  • Kjhill83
    Options
    Since I have switched from Splenda to regular sugar, I crave other sweets a lot less.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options

No, unless you would consume it in ridiculously high dosages. 10g of splenda has 33cals, so however much would put you in a calorie surplus

i thought splenda was 0 calories.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Splenda has no calories. As far as I know, if something doesn't have calories, it can't add to your caloric intake if you consume it.

Unless you like to put butter in your Splenda...
  • windycitycupcake
    Options
    Splenda has no calories. As far as I know, if something doesn't have calories, it can't add to your caloric intake if you consume it.

i hear if you sprinkle splenda on top of cake it actually eliminates calories from the cake. kind of like drinking a diet coke along with your burger and fries...it lowers the calories of the entire meal.

its true i read it on livestrong
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I don't think it's the diet soda that is adding weight, it's the fact that fake sugars make you crave more food. And that would make one fat. Either way all fake sugars are not good for you. You can try Stevia instead. That is what I use. Although I do drink one diet soda a day, just for the caffeine since I don't really like coffee nor tea. I would like to cut it out all together.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

i hear if you sprinkle splenda on top of cake it actually eliminates calories from the cake. kind of like drinking a diet coke along with your burger and fries...it lowers the calories of the entire meal.

I saw on Dr Oz that Splenda is actually like a calorie sponge - if you put it on a food, it absorbs the calories, which then evaporate into the air.

TV doctors endorsed by Oprah are always right.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use splenda & Stevia all the time & I've lost 58 pounds! so I think it's crappy food choices & lack of excersise that makes people FAT.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Splenda did nothing but help me lose weight so I'm all for it.
  • Khymera
    Options
    I've heard a lot of theories, but only two make sense to me:

1. The body is expecting sugar and, when it doesn't get it, may make people crave it.
    2, People overestimate the amount of leeway their diet drink has bought them, and eat more calories than they saved.
  • windycitycupcake
    Options

I saw on Dr Oz that Splenda is actually like a calorie sponge - if you put it on a food, it absorbs the calories, which then evaporate into the air.

i hear oprah puts splenda on everything and thats why she has stayed so consistently thin all of these years
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    why are people so sarcastic when someone is asking a question? I just don't understand that mentality, do you feel superior because you have all the answers? There is alot of misinformation out there and some people use this forum to try to find out what is true or not.
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!
  • windycitycupcake
    Options
    why are people so sarcastic when someone is asking a question? I just don't understand that mentality, do you feel superior because you have all the answers? There is alot of misinformation out there and some people use this forum to try to find out what is true or not.

sorry to come off that way. im the one who dragged this post out of the dredges to bump it because i use splenda and was curious as i have heard the same thing.

just got a little carried away with the jokes thats all maam
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Splenda itself has no calories. The maltodextrin and dextrose that it's normally included with IS nutritive and has 2-3 calories per packet that is basically sugar.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Options

i hear oprah puts splenda on everything and thats why she has stayed so consistently thin all of these years

I hear that Jillian Michaels snorts Splenda before her workouts.

But to be serious - it's fine as a sweetener. I've been using it for years now and haven't craved anymore sweets than normal. In fact, if I drink a regular Pepsi or Coke, it tastes sickeningly sweet to me when compared to their diet cousins. So, up with Splenda.