Dressing for cool weather runs?

Just wondering how everyone dresses for cooler weather when they run? It's supposed to dip into the mid-30's this week around here, so was wondering how I should prepare? Last week I ran when it was 43 degrees and had a long sleeve T and some capri leggings. Is this sufficient? I haven't invested in running tights yet (though I plan to for the winter), so trying to use what I have already!

Thanks!

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Once you get going, it's going to feel like it's in the 50's. So maybe wear a warmer shirt or layer shirts. I like the half-zip shirts so I can unzip them as I warm up but still be warm at the start. Capris should be fine if it's above freezing.

You may need gloves at the beginning, but I find I tend to come home with only one glove that way as the other gets dropped somewhere. Shirts with fold-over mittens are wonderful!
  • I make sure to cover my ears and hands. They get cold fast. Get a insulated wicking shirt or light jacket and yes cover your legs if it is going to be that cold.
  • Just wondering how everyone dresses for cooler weather when they run? It's supposed to dip into the mid-30's this week around here, so was wondering how I should prepare? Last week I ran when it was 43 degrees and had a long sleeve T and some capri leggings. Is this sufficient? I haven't invested in running tights yet (though I plan to for the winter), so trying to use what I have already!

Thanks!

I don't envy you. That is coldddd. *shudder*

That being said, last January/February I did train at the crack of dawn when it was in the mid-30s, and this is what I generally wore: capri-type leggings, a short-sleeve technical shirt, a zip-up jacket (the nifty moisture-wicking kind). The jacket has little thumb-holes in the cuffs to keep most of your hands warm, but your fingers exposed, which was awesome, because about a mile into my run my hands always heat up. A headband that can cover your ears is also a great idea; you'll end up taking it off at some point, probably, but at the outset of the run my ears are freezing if it's that cold. Once they get nice and toasty I take it off.

Happy running!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    yep, definitely something to cover the ears and toes! I'm also a big fan of the running vest. Once I get going and get warm I don't always want to be waering a long sleeve and jacket, so a vest is a nice compromise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Everyone has their own tolerance to cold. Down to the freezing mark I'm still in shorts but will wear my half zip over a wicking base layer.

The trick is to dress in layers and not to wear too much (you should be a little cool at the start of your run - you'll warm up).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    At those temps, I'd be in shorts, medium weight wicking base layer and a long sleeve tech shirt. I'd wear hat and gloves too.
  • When it gets cold, the things that bug me the most are my hands.

I wear gloves. Quite often take them off part way through the run after I've had a chance to warm up.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    I can go out in shorts and a long sleeve tech tee, sometimes capris...I am thinking about investing in a vest. :) The most important thing for me is gloves and ear warmers...I too have been known to take them off mid run but there are times that they stay put. :) I also switch over to the thicker socks. :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    I have a hat & gloves just for running ~ I don't care if I look silly to other people. I care how I feel at the end of my run.
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Shorts and black t-shirt...once I'm warmed up it feels like 70 degrees, lol.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    You should start your run out feeling chilled....by the end of the run you will be warm, so if you step outside to run and feel nice and comfy, take some layers off.

I am always cold, so I always have my ears covered with a sports headband, 55* or colder. I wear runnning gloves too in the cold.

Wear what is comfortable for you, try dressing in layers so you can shed as you go along, but remember to feel cold when you start out.
  • layers, make sure that the bottome layer is that kind that will take the moisture away from your skin.. I am an underarmor girl
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Bump
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    You might find this helpful: www.runnersworld.com/whattowear

I wear shorts until it dips down below 40F, and capris until it's below 30 or so. Short sleeves above 40F (tanks above 60F) and long sleeve tech T for 30-40F. Below that, I may wear a running jacket for wind or sometimes a vest. It all depends upon how hot or warm you like to be, but the key thing is to wear technical (wicking) fabrics all 'round. I never run in a warm hat, but cover my ears with a headband below 30F (and follow similar guidelines for gloves).

Hope you find this online tool helpful!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    When it's as cold as you say, I buy these warmer pants, I don't know what they are called, but they are like long johns but made for running in cold weather. Then, I wear sweat pants over that. On top, I wear a long sleeve dri fit shirt, and a heavy hooded sweat jacket. That's about it. I've never run in freezing temps, so I don't know but 30's and 40's that's what I wear. And, to be honest, but the end of the run, I'm usually too hot. But, I don't know how to even it out so that I'm not too cold at the start.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    It really depends on how you react to the cold. Once I start running, my body heats up quite a bit, so I prefer thin moisture-wicking layers. Usually I wear tight cotton pants, a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, and a tight-fitting zippered track jacket. A knit hat or headband to cover my ears is a must. Also, look for mittens with a fold-back top. If you've never seen them, they fit your hands like gloves, but the finger openings are not enclosed and a single covering like a mitten can be folded over the fingers. I love them because they allow me to easily adapt to my body temp without having to remove anything and I can make the adjustment without having to stop.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I ordered these shirts and really like them. Haven't run in them yet, but the fit is nice!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=1&pid=251587&scid=251587032
  • Dress 15-20 degrees warmer than the current air temperature, i.e., if it's 50 -- dress for 65 / 70. You warm up quite fast.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Dress 15-20 degrees warmer than the current air temperature, i.e., if it's 50 -- dress for 65 / 70. You warm up quite fast.

big time!

you have to "dress for the middle of the run"

you should be on the cold side when you start, knowing full well you will crack a sweat in 15 or 20 minutes and then get much warmer

I think lightweight gloves are key
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Those sound like the temps where I live! Seems way too early for it though... A lot of what you want to run in is personal preference, what feels comfortable for you. Add 20 degrees to the current temp to give you an idea of what it'll feel like when you're running. Keeping your head & hands covered is really important. When the temp dips into the 30's, I break out my tights. I run in capris the rest of the year. Layering on your top half is key too. I like to wear a short sleeve tech shirt & then add a jacket. Happy running!