incline trainers

Options
so i don't post often but my dh and i are thinking of getting an incline trainer in the next few months or so - has anybody used them , what do you think, etc...... The one we like is the lower end model from nodictrack and it comes with some training stuff from jillian/. We bought an eliptical about a year ago and it was alot cheapr around $200 and is already creaking and such so we want somthing better quality - we saw somthing like this about 8years ago at a nordictrack store and thought it looked pretty good for a workout so what do you think
http://www.inclinetrainer.com/details_x3.html

Replies

• teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty nice, but it makes me think of a regular treadmill that has a high incline. The one that I use on base has an incline up to 15%. It is very true, that you burn more calories at a incline than just walking. If you make the investment, I am sure you will benefit from it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just make sure this is something that you are purchasing because you like the movement, not because it is associated with JM or the hype on the website ("Burns 5x more calories!!!!). The incline trainer has no magic benefits--it is just a piece of exercise equipment that does one unique thing--it goes up to a high incline--40% vs the normal 15% for most treadmills. So let's look at the whole concept of super-incline as an exercise modality.

You also have to evaluate the physical components of machine, just like you would any other appliance. Unfortunately, many years ago, Nordic Track ceased to be a reliable brand name and instead became associated with infomercial hype. I am not saying the quality of the incline trainer is poor (I have no idea), I am just saying that you cannot assume that the Nordic Track "brand" represents a standard of quality anymore.

Back to the exercise itself. Incline walking can be an effective way to burn calories in a cardio workout--especially if you cannot or do not care for running. The problem with walking is that, while it is easy for anyone to do, it doesn't burn a lot of calories, even at "brisk" speeds like 4.0-4.5 miles per hour. So the incline takes care of that. You can set the speed relatively low, crank up the incline, and achieve intensity rates similar to running, without the pounding. I did more incline walking in the beginning of my program when I didn't have much running endurance, or as a second workout and I eventually got up to about 85%-90% of the caloric expenditure (per minute) that I could achiever during running--and could keep going longer.

As far as the overall fitness benefits, I think they are going to be lessened somewhat by the specificity of the exercise--in other words, there may not be as much "carryover" into other activities because it is a relatively unique movement -- unless you live in the mountains ;-) Certainly, that is a minor drawback, if at all.

Here's a key consideration, however: you only get the benefits of incline walking if you do not hold on to the handrails. It's just common sense that if you hold on, you are doing less work. Given that fact, I think an appropriate questions are: is the super incline feature something you can and will use a lot? Is it necessary for the success of your program? Have you experienced the physical sensation of walking up this steep an incline and is this something you enjoy?

Physiologically, it's hard for me to come up with a justification for a 40% incline. Example: walking 2.0 mph up a 40% incline works out to an exercise intensity (VO2 or oxygen uptake) of 47.5 ml/kg/min. That's the equivalent of running at 8.4 mph. Not many people are at the fitness level where they can even tolerate that intensity level for a sustained period.

Bring the incline down to 21% and you are at 8 METS, which is still a challenging workout intensity, although at your age it is certainly achievable, if you are not there already. But now you are only at a slightly higher elevation than for a regular treadmill (15% max). If you increase the speed to 2.6 mph (very modest), you only need an elevation of 14% to achieve the same 8 MET level.

The point I am trying to make is that you can do incline walking at intensities that are well within the training range of most individuals with a regular treadmill. Much of the capacity of the incline trainer is beyond the physiological capability of most people--much of it beyond the capability of humans in general. Unless you hold on to the handrails--and thus negate the intensity in the first place.

Again, I am not trying to counsel against this purchase. I am just laying out the facts in a logical way, without the hype and the BS claims, so that you can make an informed decision.

Essentially what you have in the incline trainer is a short treadmill (50" in belt length vs the normal 60"). It is a walking treadmill--you might be able to run on it, but it would be risky. It also has a unique incline feature that is of limited benefit since most people will not have the fitness level to use it effectively. And lastly, it has programs and other user features that you have to evaluate.

Maybe that's the best choice for you. Maybe the more compact size is important. Maybe you cannot find a $1,300 treadmill of comparable quality and features. One benefit of a treadmill is that it can do most of what the incline trainer can do but also has greater versatility--esp if you or your husband ever decided to take up a running program. If you think you will probably stick with just walking and feel that the extra incline feature will provide good challenges as you become more fit, then maybe the incline trainer is a good choice.
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought one about a month ago and we love it. It's true that the steaper the incline the more calories you burn. So if you don't have alot of time to spend walking on a treadmill you get a faster burn of calories. My husband and I both have worked up to burning 600 calories a day about 6 days a week. It takes me about 37-39 minutes to do it using a leveled workout. I walk at 3.8mph at 12 degree incline for 100 calories, then 3.2 mph at 28 degree incline for 50 calories and then back to 12 for 100 and so on an so forth until I get to 600 calories. I find it harder to get on the treadmill having one day off so am thinking about doing it 7 days a week.

I don't agree with the poster before me saying by holding on to the handles you don't get a workout. You definelty do and I can see it in my arms already. You will get a workout with this treadmill!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    thanks we are definitally looking into it for the workout - the fact that it comes with stuff from Jillian is just a plus i don't care either way. plus since it is shorter it will fit in our house better - neither of us plan on running on it - i am wanting to keep or membership to the Y and since i want to try the C25k i will run there or on our flood wall.
    thanks for the input about liking it - i choose nodic track cause they are the only ones makeing one that inclines this much
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 5"2 and I can run on it and my husband is 6"5 and he can run as well you have to be careful, shorter strides. Ours did not come with anything from Jillian. You can purchase additional items like the ifit cards to use in it but you can also make up your own workout routines or follow the programmable workouts. It's promoted by her but ours didn't come with anything and we purchased it through sears.

The only downside is you need a room with tall ceilings, we wanted to put it in the basement and that wouldn't work for us because of the incline and it does not fold up like a traditional treadmill. I'm ok with that and like I said love it. I'm definetly hoping to see some great results by June!

Good luck!
  • kimkay81
    kimkay81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I purchased a nordic track incline trainer with the JM ifit workouts in 2009 and I LOVE it! Trust me even holding on you are getting one heck of a workout! I also run on it and I am 5'4". As of now I have never went far enough in the ifit workouts for JM to bring me up to more than a 26% incline but I'm okay with that because 26% is HARD. I spent a pretty penny on my incline trainer but I think it was worth every cent.
  • fuzzybear123
    fuzzybear123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bought a Freemotion incliner and am really liking it. I am able to workout longer and have burned more calories than any other workout. Looking forward to see what results I get.
  • Tjsakrebs
    Options
    The x7i, x9i, and x11i DO NOT HAVE A SHORT BELT!!! They have an extra wide and long belt at 22 x 60. And it has a great warranty. Incline is awesome! Do it!!
  • Tjsakrebs
    Options
    Please edit your review, it does not have a short belt. It's 22 x 60. Telling people Nordic track isn't a good brand and it's dangerous to run on these is crazy. Look on any treadmill review website and you'll see these are always in the top 3. Goodness. Have a great day!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    One of my gyms has a Freemotion that goes up to a 30% incline. I would practically KILL to have that thing at my disposal.