HRM Question

Options
I have been contemplating getting a HRM but I have a question. I tend to have a naturally higher heart rate, Im not sure why...but that's how I've always been (it's like 105-110 resting). Would a HRM even be accurate in tracking calories if I am naturally high in heart rate?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would say no. You're going to get unusually high readings, of course.

Having said that, have you seen a doctor about it? That seems pretty extremely high, I would think a doctor would put you on beta blockers or something if your resting rate is that high.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have been contemplating getting a HRM but I have a question. I tend to have a naturally higher heart rate, Im not sure why...but that's how I've always been (it's like 105-110 resting). Would a HRM even be accurate in tracking calories if I am naturally high in heart rate?

Yes.

Most HRM's have an individual stat call Max HR, what you personally have as the fastest your HR can go.

Now, just because you have elevated resting HR for no reason, or even in exercise, doesn't mean your MaxHR would be high too - but good chance it would.

Some people have high rev'ing Honda hearts, some have slower more powerful diesel hearts.

So yes, read the manual first, if you can set MaxHR stat (not an upper zone limit, that's for training), then it will be just if not more accurate for you then everyone that accepts the default.

Because actually for women, you have more chance of being 10 or more bpm outside the default estimate of 220-age.

At that point, yes, the HRM will be as accurate for you as others.

Usually there are medical reasons for a high resting HR well outside the averages, suggest you research them to see if any other symptoms fit in. Dr's, primary especially, will dismiss it as high avg too easily.
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look into it. I am a healthy person otherwise so I dont know what it could be caused by, but maybe I am missing something!
  • Sarah47201
    Sarah47201 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got one and the healthier I've gotten the lower my resting HR has become. For example, before starting cardio I was in the 95-110 while resting...after about 4 weeks of regularly doing cardio I'm now in the 60-70 range resting.

I love my watch. :)