LOW CARBS

Options
I started a low carb diet and I need some advice and or tips. I need low carb snacking ideas and side dish ideas. this is all new to me, so any and all advice will be appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    How low is "low"?

Snack: cottage cheese, nuts, hard boiled eggs, cheese, rolled up deli meat with veggies, tuna.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot about this wonderful side dish we found on the menu in the Tetons or Yellowstone.

Instead of mashed potatoes try mashed pureed cauliflower. Steam or boil a head of cauliflower with a few cloves of garlic. Puree (food processor or blender) with about 1/3c of fat free milk/buttermilk and olive oil (you can substitute some flavored laughing cow or boursin cheese), season and serve. (the less liquid, the creamier)
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    at the moment sticking to 50 carbs a day I think
  • Sprincepark
    Options
    almonds, lunch meat with cream cheese spread and then made into rolls and cut into pinwheels, pickles (dill or sugar free), pork rinds, celery and peanut butter:flowerforyou:
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I could also do with a few tips about how to cut out carb, I seem to be going over my allowance every day, but have no trouble staying under cals, fat or protein ... I find it dificult not to have anything oaty for breakfast (what else do you eat?) and to leave out snacks (mostly cereal bars) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I make a 'veggie kugel': steam veggies (cauliflower, carrots, etc.) and mash them up, then beat an egg or two into it, season with poultry seasoning and bake - comes out as a nice loaf which which you can slice and travels well for lunches - is SO satisfying. Even better if you add a fried onion ;)

If you are willing to spend a few carbs on breakfast, you can try what I have for breakfast. I love it, but some people think its weird haha: stretch 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal to a bigger meal by adding 1/3 cup cottage cheese and some milk then microwave for 2.5 minutes. It is this incredibly satisfying meal that will keep you running all morning. You can add things for flavor, such as cinnamon, raisins, blueberries, a few chocolate chips etc.

I also like celery with fillings: peanut butter, hummus, olive tapenade, etc.

Salads for dinner can be great if you include a few ingredients that make them substantial, such as hulled sunflower seeds (love the nutty taste of these), baked squash, a great protein etc.

I'm not a raw foodie but I love zucchini 'noodles' . Raw zucchini with pasta sauce! Has a great al dente crunch :)
    Also, never underestimate how delicious simple steamed veggies with a bit of butter can be :) Even for breakfast!
    Good luck!
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple places with DELICIOUS recipes (some easier to make than others, of course, but all fairly good):

peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com
    http://mariahealth.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

The first one saved my life...everything is super simple to make, and I've loved everything I've tried so far from that site. The second is good, but some of the recipes are a bit more involved. The third one is a good support group with lots of links.