are MACROS really THAT important?!!

Options
Ive been at this journey on MFP for almost 9 months and the ONE question that I cant seem to get past is are my macros really that important or is it the calories that I should be most concerned with???
this is not a "well you need to balance ALL " type of question.... thanks.

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but what I have seen in the last 8 months of using MFP is that in the beginning I was seeing more success just watching the calories and did great. Now that I am down to the last few pounds of fat I am trying to kill off I am really trying to be careful about the macros and staying within my budgeted amounts on everything except protein and the progress has slowed significantly.
    In short, unless your diet consists of cheeseburgers and pizza then I don't think the macros are all that crucial in terms of weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight, then cutting calories is the most important. However, "macros" are the main nutrients that your body needs. The more nutrition you put in your body, the better you will feel and the more energy you will have when in a calorie deficit.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've only been using MFP for 9 wks but I've found it fairly useful-ish. I've found I now come almost spot on naturally without needing to do too much thinking. I always plan and pre-log a few days ahead though.

I also have a whey protein choc shake every day after exercise to hit 30% Protein.

The key problem is logging items which don't have any extra stats on them so it can be a lil' misleading. My cholesterol stats always seem high mostly due to eggs. I try and stick to sugars and sodium.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, calories are most important for most people. ("Most" because some people with medical issues don't process carbs the same way other people do.) You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies.

For optimal health, body composition and performance, macros matter. As a runner, I go for a little more carbs than a bodybuilder would, but I still get more than 125g of protein most days. As soon as I started getting more than 100g, my energy level shot up and I had more strength and endurance. I was able to run faster and longer, hold planks longer, do pushups from toes instead of from knees, etc.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    this is not a "well you need to balance ALL " type of question.... thanks.
    But it IS that type of question, if you want a correct answer.
  • worthliving4
    worthliving4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    as with everything the balance comes from the goal to be met. Calories are important HOWEVER the macros will assist with meeting the daily/weekly calorie goals and not feeling deprived or having sluggish feelings as a result of calorie restriction. When watching your macros (I follow mine very carefully) the thing to consider is the quality of the food and the nutritional value associated with it. Protein intake will help prevent muscle loss which when trying to loss weight is common but really awful because muscle burns more calories to sustain than fat does. meaning the more muscle you have the more calories you need. The glycogen stores in your muscles have a fine balance which are supplied by your carb intake. Finally, fats are vital to not only burning fat but also to processing vitamins and feeding the vital organs. Not all fats are alike nor are all carbs etc. Carbs high in fiber (25 gm a day is recommended) and low sugars is best. Sugars will peak insulin etc etc etc....bottom line is, the calories are important but the QUALITY of the calories trumps everything. You can not exercise away a bad diet. Your body needs fuel and nutrition.
  • JessicaKingerySC
    Options
    as with everything the balance comes from the goal to be met. Calories are important HOWEVER the macros will assist with meeting the daily/weekly calorie goals and not feeling deprived or having sluggish feelings as a result of calorie restriction. When watching your macros (I follow mine very carefully) the thing to consider is the quality of the food and the nutritional value associated with it. Protein intake will help prevent muscle loss which when trying to loss weight is common but really awful because muscle burns more calories to sustain than fat does. meaning the more muscle you have the more calories you need. The glycogen stores in your muscles have a fine balance which are supplied by your carb intake. Finally, fats are vital to not only burning fat but also to processing vitamins and feeding the vital organs. Not all fats are alike nor are all carbs etc. Carbs high in fiber (25 gm a day is recommended) and low sugars is best. Sugars will peak insulin etc etc etc....bottom line is, the calories are important but the QUALITY of the calories trumps everything. You can not exercise away a bad diet. Your body needs fuel and nutrition.

This is a great way of putting it into perspective!