No idea how to log this...

Options
So at work today, we had a barbecue. This is the third barbecue they've had since I've been on the mission to lose weight, and I've never participated before. Today, I decided that I have been pretty good for the past few months, and haven't had a real "go nuts" meal in a while, so I decided to get some. My (now empty) plate had a good size tamale, 2 spicy italian sausages, a generous portion of refried beans, and a cesar salad complete with croutons. None of it was pre-portioned, I just grabbed a spoon and dug in. I don't feel guilty about it, (may regret it later at the gym, but...), but I have no idea how to log it in my diary. I don't know the weights or particular "serving size" of anything I got.

Replies

• tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find the generic versions of what I ate and estimate portion sizes. The difference isn't going to matter in the long run, but I feel guilty if I don't log.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get yelled at, but I just estimate. I guess and try to over-estimate rather than under-estimate. It's one meal - if you're doing well the rest of the time it's not going to make that much difference in the long run. JMO
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What happens if you just don't?
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What happens if you just don't?

Nothing, really. But I try to monitor not just my daily calories, but also my weekly calories.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I just take my best estimate for portion sizes and enter what you just listed. I have a good idea of the portion sizes I serve with the serving spoons and ladles at home so I can get pretty close on portion sizes. Generally, there is a range in the calories per item. I prefer to err on the side of caution so I tend to go with the higher calorie option. I forgot the specifics of the food you ate but a rule of thumb is a 4 oz portion of meat is the size of a deck of cards/palm of your hand. Log it the best you can. It should all average out over time.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I would just aim high and use the generic portions so try and help you. Hope u enjoyed ur scrummy sounded meal :)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i would just estimate, and aim high.

reading what you had on your plate, i'd do a quick add of 1200.
  • shellihooten
    Options
    So at work today, we had a barbecue. This is the third barbecue they've had since I've been on the mission to lose weight, and I've never participated before. Today, I decided that I have been pretty good for the past few months, and haven't had a real "go nuts" meal in a while, so I decided to get some. My (now empty) plate had a good size tamale, 2 spicy italian sausages, a generous portion of refried beans, and a cesar salad complete with croutons. None of it was pre-portioned, I just grabbed a spoon and dug in. I don't feel guilty about it, (may regret it later at the gym, but...), but I have no idea how to log it in my diary. I don't know the weights or particular "serving size" of anything I got.

Like all these previous comments I agree.
    It's pretty easy to 'estimate' on a spoonful of beans, was it a 1/4C or 1/2C size, for example.
    Salad...1C - 2C or ??
    You can get pretty darn close by putting in these items, MFP has a vast data base.
    And even IF you err of the low side, you're doing an amazing job overall and you work out regularly!
    Don't beat yourself up. And I'll BET you are under your calories for the week.
    These indulgences are a MUST to keep ourselves from going nutso with missing out!
    I indulged on a sandwich when we went our for lunch yesterday, a Monte Cristo. YUMM!!
    I sure was careful the rest of the day and stayed at or under my limit.