NSV - Third in my first trail race

Options
Iron_Feline
Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
Evening all

Just wanted to post about my first proper NSV.

I started running a few months ago and have managed to get up to running 5k on a regular basis in the park near where I live. So I decided to enter a race - just to give me something to aim for. I found a nice local trail race - 4k followed by an 8.5k. Perfect, I could try a short trail race to see if I like it - possibly doubtful considering the hills involved :grumble:

So I rock up on Sunday - all nervous in my regular non-trail running shoes with the sole aim of not coming last - my normal aim tbh. I cheer on the kids in their 1k run before ours and then boom it's us. I quickly discover trail running is much harder than road running and after the first Km my legs feel like jelly - and then the hills appeared! YIKES so I walk up the hills just thinking that as long as I stay ahead of the woman behind me I won't be last (There were more people behind me - but she was my marker so to speak). I survive the hills - enjoy the run back down and have enough energy for a sprint :wink: finish.

I cheer on all the people who finish after me - and then all the mad people who do the 8.5k run.

After everyone is done we head back to the pub for a well earned pint and I cheer on everyone who has come 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the races - first the kids, then the under 18 on my 4k - then the adults on my 4k. Imaging my shock when they call out MY NAME for third place. Yep me - me who just wanted to not come last and finish without an injury.

So I now have a shiny bronze medal, a gift certificate for a local running shop and bragging rights. I am so chuffed is ridiculous, so I just thought I would share with everyone that there is no harm in trying something new - you might surprise yourself. I know I did, and next year I want the gold! :laugh:

Thanks for reading my essay :drinker:

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!