is it weird...

Options
that i drink WAY more water at room temperature than i do when its ice cold?

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    nope , i do too! i mean if it's super hot out and i need something that refreshing i can drink a ton of ice cold water but for the most part daily, i need room temperature...
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    good im glad im not the only one!! :noway:
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I like it cold, but that is only b/c i'm sooooo hot!
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Yip me too. i cant gulp it down when its straight from the fridge
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    a lady at work was giving me a hard time for not putting ice in it LOL

i dug myself even deeper into the hole when i mentioned the BEST WATER EVER comes from a hose... LOL
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!!
  • Brengild
    Options
    I found I was able to drink more when I stopped putting ice in it. Werid but true!
  • karenlw75
    karenlw75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I prefer room temperature water.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Not only do I drink my water at room temperature, I like it when it's been sitting for a few hours (or days, like the bottle of water on my bedside table) because it really brings out the chlorine.

Apparently you can burn up to 8 calories drinking 8 oz of water ice cold because your body has to warm up the water so you expend more energy. Not that it's a significant burn, but it's interesting. I wonder how you'd log that! :laugh:
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Not only do I drink my water at room temperature, I like it when it's been sitting for a few hours (or days, like the bottle of water on my bedside table) because it really brings out the chlorine.

Apparently you can burn up to 8 calories drinking 8 oz of water ice cold because your body has to warm up the water so you expend more energy. Not that it's a significant burn, but it's interesting. I wonder how you'd log that! :laugh:

Isn't the definition of a calorie the amount of energy needed to raise 1 cc of water 1 degree Celcius? Yes, it is. I just looked it up. BUT.... that's a "small" calorie, food is generally described using "large" or kcal, which would be 1000 small ones. So, the calories we are thinking of would be the amount of energy needed to raise 1000 cc's of water (1 liter if I'm not mistaken) by 1 degree celcius. So if you drank 8 oz. of water (that's about 250 ml give or take) and that burned 8 calories, by my calculations, the starting temperature would need to have been somewhere around 32 degrees celcius lower than body temperature, which is, what, 37 celcius? So, starting temp of 5C, which would be fairly cold, but not ICE cold water.

Makes sense to me.

I need to burn 800 calories today, so I'm going to go home and drink 24 liters of ice water. :happy:
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Isn't the definition of a calorie the amount of energy needed to raise 1 cc of water 1 degree Celcius? Yes, it is. I just looked it up. BUT.... that's a "small" calorie, food is generally described using "large" or kcal, which would be 1000 small ones. So, the calories we are thinking of would be the amount of energy needed to raise 1000 cc's of water (1 liter if I'm not mistaken) by 1 degree celcius. So if you drank 8 oz. of water (that's about 250 ml give or take) and that burned 8 calories, by my calculations, the starting temperature would need to have been somewhere around 32 degrees celcius lower than body temperature, which is, what, 37 celcius? So, starting temp of 5C, which would be fairly cold, but not ICE cold water.

Makes sense to me.

I need to burn 800 calories today, so I'm going to go home and drink 24 liters of ice water. :happy:
    Sorry, we Americans won't switch to the metric system; we like systems of measurement that make ambiguous relationships with tangible items, much like a child would. As such, I stopped reading after "Celsius".
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/senior_year
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    no, i actually prefer it that way. really cold water hurts my teeth.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I do the same. It doesn't hurt as much going down. Ice water can be too cold.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I can't drink ice water, I love a little bit colder than room temp
  • escape4asecond
    Options
    I seem to only be able to drink ice cold water when I have a straw...but I prefer to have 0-2 cubes of ice in a tall glass of water. Usually order water with no ice in restaurants.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No, I guzzle tons of water daily, room temp. "They" (ya know, "they" as in the experts" ) say drinking cold water helps burn more cals...but since I drink so much water, I don't really like ice water anymore...I prefer it room temp!
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

No, some people just like it that way I perfer the water ice cold. :p
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Another vote for room temp water!
  • amandahahn85
    amandahahn85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Room temp all the way!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I like it cold.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!