Body Pump beginner

I recently did my first ever Body Pump class and explained to the instructor I was a total beginner, and I set the weights at the lowest available. I couldn't walk or sit properly for about a week afterwards.

Anyone experience this? Should I have started with no weights or shall i just persevere and put up with the pain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Replies

• redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    I have done Body Pump and Total tone classes even if you are at the lowest weight your going to hurt because your body is not use to it, your resistance will get better. Trust me I am still sore when I skip a few classes. Stick it out it will get better.

Nadia
  • Yeah the first time I did body pump I couldn't work out for a week! but go again and increase your weights slowly - remember to stretch well after the class so that you won't feel sore and can hit the gym the next day. Totally normal to feel that way the first class..
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    I recently did my first ever Body Pump class and explained to the instructor I was a total beginner, and I set the weights at the lowest available. I couldn't walk or sit properly for about a week afterwards.

Anyone experience this? Should I have started with no weights or shall i just persevere and put up with the pain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

If you feel like the pain is more than normal "new workout" pain, then ask the instructor to help you by checking your form. And truly listen to what she is saying. Also, check out the Les Mills Body pump "learn the moves" page here: http://w3.lesmills.com/global/en/classes/bodypump/learn-the-moves/ to make sure you are doing things correctly. A little bit of education can save you a lot of pain!
    I love Body Pump and have for years. And when I am a gym member it is a my go-to class! I found that you are usually a bit more sore the first few classes but it does get better. And you should s-l-o-w-l-y increase your weight and at times ask if you can have 2 bars (one lighter) for when you feel like you are maxxed out and need to go back down a few pounds.
    Also, try cooling down, stretching out by walking a little after class. And a hot shower does wonders!!
  • SDK13
    SDK13 Posts: 3
    Yes!! I was the same way. The pain was horrible! I stuck with it and so glad I did starting to see results and I am hooked!